Sunday, June 08, 2008

Week 23 of year 2008 on the double bass

1 Jun 2008, Sun: I practised a few sight-reading exercises. This is probably one day when discipline helps. I practised the second movement of Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto thereafter. Perhaps because I could relate to it, it was much easier to get started on Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto than to play any of the sight-reading exercises. I need more focus.

4 Jun 2008, Wed: What a strange thing. I was feeling exhausted for the entire work day. However, after practising just the first few bars from the second movement of Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto on the double bass, while waiting for the orchestra rehearsal to start, a surge of positive energy came back to me. I wonder if music has reviving powers?

Anyway, for the orchestra rehearsal, we played various works. One of which was tunes from the movie, Schindler's List. Hopefully, this would be played in our orchestra's performance that is scheduled to be held in September 2008.

5 Jun 2008, Thu: I practised selected passages from Rossini's The Thieving Magpie Overture and "The Barber of Seville" Overture. Afterwhich, I played a few passages from the second movement of Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto. My goodness, I was feeling rather tired to be focused.

7 Jun 2008, Sat: I continued to practise selected passages from Rossini's The Thieving Magpie Overture and "The Barber of Seville" Overture. The challenge in playing the double bass appeared not to be technical but mental. How do I cope with the thoughts of inadequacy that strike me?

2 comments:

Doreen said...

Music sure has reviving powers, at least I believe so. When I'm tired, listening to songs relax me and playing piano sure liven me.

oceanskies79 said...

Music is heavenly. :)