Monday, July 20, 2009

Henderson Waves adventure



I have heard about Henderson Waves from friends and fellow-bloggers but I had not visited it until 19 Jun 2009 (Fri). I was in need of a breather from work, and greatly needed to spend time close to Nature. All these lead me to decide to start a leisure walk from Mount Faber to Telok Blangah Hill, to Hort Park, Kent Ridge Park and finally to the Reflections at Bt Chandu.

In this post, I shall attempt to share about my walk along Henderson Waves. According to the information that is found on the National Parks Singapore's website:

At 36 metres above Henderson Road, Henderson Waves is the highest pedestrian bridge in Singapore. It was built to connect the two hills of Mount Faber and Telok Blangah Hill.


To reach Henderson Waves, I took a bus from 131 from the HarbourFront and alighted at the bus-stop along Henderson Road. Bus service 145 also gets one there. Then I crossed to the other side of the road and took the staircase up to Mount Faber Park. That eventually led me to this part of the Mount Faber Park that bears the sign Henderson Waves.




My walk along Henderson Waves then begun. I realised that I have a fear of heights when I walk on structures that seem to be suspended high up in the air. I felt fears that I would wobble down and fall from the bridge! It was strange that while I trust that the engineers did a great job to make sure that the bridge will be stable, my body could not help sending me signals of fear when I started to cross this bridge. It took me a while before I could concentrate on enjoying the views from the bridge than to worry about falling down from the bridge!



The official National Parks Singapore's website wrote that Henderson Waves "has a unique wave-form made up of seven undulating curved steel “ribs” that alternately rise over and under its deck." I was pretty attracted to the wave-like form of the bridge. This bridge gets one a very down-to-earth feel. Slats of yellow balau wood are used in the decking. When one gets tired, one could rest on benches that were well blended in with the overall structures of the bridge.




Well, I shall end this post with a photo taken at a slanted angle of the snapshot on Henderson Waves. If it makes you feel wobbly. That was how I felt when I was on it. Alright, I do need more encouragement to conquer my unrealistic fears of walking on structures that are high above the ground.

***
Getting to Henderson Waves:

By Bus: Take bus service number 131, 145, 176 or 648. Alight at bus stop along Henderson Road, take the staircase up to Mount Faber Park.

3 comments:

pinkie said...

The place looks empty on a Friday! Nice write-up about it! :) Did you really walk from there to Reflections @ Bt Chandu? Izzit far?

oceanskies79 said...

Pinkie: It was about three hours walk to get to Reflections@ Bt Chandu from Mount Faber. Possibly shorter because I spent a bit of time just looking around the Kent Ridge Park, Henderson Waves and the Telok Blangah Hill.

Oh, looks like Henderson Waves would be very crowded on weekends?

Jade said...

Teehee!! Came across your post when I was researching about Henderson Waves. :) Nice one! And yes I did feel wobbly when I looked at that photo.