Thursday, August 20, 2015

22 June 2015: Boston Common and the Boston Public Garden

Boston Common.

Boston is a lovely city to explore by foot. While I was in Boston, I took the recommendations given by one of my friends to check out two parks namely the Boston Common and the Boston Public Garden. My friend was of the opinion that Boston Public Garden would be a more interesting park to visit.

Boston Common.

I learnt that Boston Common is the oldest public park in America. It is established in 1634. This historical park is also the starting point of the Freedom Trail. However, I did not know enough of the significance of Boston Common to treasure its historical significance. That however did not stop me from enjoying the flora and fauna of this lovely park. It is like the green lungs of the city. The park's presence makes the air in Boston city fresher.

Baseball activities at Boston Common.

While I was at the Boston Common, I had a glimpse of a baseball match from a distance. Sports seem to unite people.

On hindsight, first-time visitors to Boston Common would find it useful to visit the Visitor Information Center at 139 Tremont Street, Boston, MA 02111. It opens daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and provides information to Boston and so forth.

Boston Public Garden.

Next to the Boston Common is the Boston Public Garden. Aesthetically, it is more visually attractive than the Boston Common thanks to the interesting plants, the lake features and the interesting swan boats that are available for visitors to take a ride on. I learnt much later after I have returned from Boston that the Public Garden was the first public botanical garden in America.


Boston Public Garden.

Boston Public Garden.

I felt thankful to have visited two historical parks in Boston during my short stay in Boston.

No comments: