Sunday, March 23, 2008

It's spring time

(Taken during a guided tour of the Esplanade)


Last evening, Carcar and I attended the Singapore Symphony Orchestra's concert, Sounds of Spring at the Esplanade Concert Hall.

Having played one of Sibelius' symphonies, I found that I was able to relate to his Spring Song, Op. 16 when I heard it last evening. As a piece of music composition, Beethoven's Third Piano Concerto has quite a number of interesting elements that had caught my ear. I personally like the second movement of the concerto. However, I felt that last evening, the orchestra lacked an extra touch of spontaneity that would bring out those interesting elements.

I personally did not like the interpretation of Schumann's First Symphony last night. It felt lacking in a refined character and sense of inner joy that I was expecting from Schumann's music. Despite so, it was still interesting to listen to the orchestra playing Schumann's First Symphony live. Somehow, live music just sounds more interesting to me than recorded music.

Nevertheless, on the whole, the concert was satisfying to listen to.

Many thanks to Carcar for the company.

1 comment:

eastcoastlife said...

Gosh... I realise I have not attended any concerts in Esplanade... yet!!