Sunday, April 17, 2005

Last evening's concert

Last night, I attended the concert presented by the Singapore Symphony Orchestra.

The programme for the concert was as follow:
  • Charles Ives Central Park in the Dark
  • Ludwig van Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat major, Op. 73 "Emperor"
  • Jean Sibelius Symphony No. 5 in E-flat major, Op. 82
The concert was generally alright, though I felt something was missing. Perhaps it is because I could not fully appreciate the first movement of Beethoven's Fifth Piano Concerto, I found it a little lengthy and less appealing as compared to its second and third movement. The orchestra sounded somewhat restrained while playing the piano concerto. Somehow, a spirit of spontaneity seemed lacking.

Then again, the concert was alright. It was within expectations though not beyond.

******

The only thing that I was a little upset about was the new ruling by Esplanade Concert Hall. The staff there told me the Concert Hall does not allow people to bring large bags or baggage into the hall. I was carrying a haversack last evening, and I was told that it was considered "big". I saw ladies with hand bags just a little smaller than my haversack and those were allowed. The staff told me that this is a new regulation by the Esplanade. Then the security took my bag and kept it at one corner, and gave me a tag with a number. I was told I could redeem my bag from the information counter with that tag, during the interval or after the concert.

It must be me. I do not feel safe leaving my bags with others. Furthermore there was no proper locker available I could keep the bag in. I feel quite uncomfortable about having to leave my bag at the security. It was not small, but I could not say that my bag is so bag that it could pose as a threat to the safety of others. Certainly, any discerning person would have noticed my face turned black and I was grieving over having my bag taken away from me, even though it was temporary.

The staff told me I could take out my valuables from the bag and then leave the bag with the security. I must have been paranoid, I had left my digital camera in the bag before the interval, and I spent about a few minutes while listening to the first item of the concert worrying about it. So, to help myself feel better, I went to redeem my bag during the interval and took out the digital camera from the bag. The staff must have been a little as paranoid as I am, they repeatedly though me that there should be no photography in the Concert Hall. Of course, I know. I just wanted to have my digital camera with me.

Then I asked one of the staff if there are lockers available in the Esplanade. I was told that there will be. Anyway, I started to wonder if there would be sufficient lockers to cater to everyone who needed one when the lockers are installed.

Anyway, the more I think of it, the more I felt having the lockers may not necessary be as helpful as I would like them to be. There may be times that I have to bring my double bass bow and bow case with me to attend performances at the Esplanade, and I doubt the regular lockers would be of any use. When that happens, could I tell the Esplanade personnel that the bow and the bow case are valuables and ask if I could bring them in? I noticed a few folks had to leave their violins and violin case with the security. I think I would be totally upset if I were to be asked to leave my double bass with the security. I won't be surprised if I get so upset that I will ask for a refund. Anyway, I don't think I would have brought a double bass to catch a performance at the concert hall in the first place.

So maybe for the meantime, I should try to use a smaller bag everytime I attend performances at the Esplanade Concert Hall. (I am not sure if Esplanade Theatre has this regulation about not allowing large bags too.)

2 comments:

mistipurple said...

i like your dry humour about asking for a refund if you do decide to bring your double bass and if it is not allowed in, which you decided then that you probably wouldn't be lugging one to a concert! haha!
but yes, ocean, i totally understand how you feel. i have been made to leave my belongings at concerts before, and it thoroughly spoilt my whole evening, wondering the demise of my stuff at the end of the concert. once, i had to leave a bottle of mineral water. that, i can understand about their fears of spillage, but even after i explained i needed them for swallowing some pill during the concert, and that i was going to be very careful, and that i am a very matured adult...haha. nope. didn't work though it was the truth i needed the darn liquid. needless to say, i daren't claim my bottle after the concert, because there were dozens of orphaned bottles on the counters, and i didn't marked mine with markers of course! besides i would have been too paranoid to drink it then.
the point is, sometimes the ushers should practise discretion. i do understand the security part though.

Emy said...

hey... my friend managed to convince the guy that his violin costs $30k and that esplanade would have to pay lots in insurance if anything wrong happens in the handling... *Haha* and he got in, with the violin... lucky pig!

apparently, they din think that my double bass bow was expensive enough. although i saw that rayner could bring his in... *eurgh*

maybe we need to learn to assert more pressure on the people there...