Saturday, April 09, 2005

The Fifth Anniversary: 8 April 2005

Yesterday was the fifth anniversary that this double bass became mine. It was my 21st birthday present from my mother. It was officially delivered and sent to me on 8 April 2000. Anyway, at that time, my 21st birthday was still a month away. As such, I supposed it was an early 21st birthday present.

Time flies. It sounded better now than when I had first bought it. About half a year after I had it, I took it back to the music shop to do some work on its bridge. That has made playing a little more easy. But in retrospective, maybe I should also ask for some work to be done on its nut.

Korean strings sounded not pleasant for the ears. They sounded bearable but not appealing. I am glad that I had changed the strings to Helicore orchestra strings last year.

The best thing about it is that I like the way its lowest string (the E string) sounds. It gives a warm and nice bass sound.

Anyway, there was no major celebrations held for this anniversary yesterday. I merely practised on it.

So, given its sentimental value, it is hard to just sell it away if I were to get another double bass. I still have a way to go to be able to afford a dream double bass. Anyway, this double bass that I have been having for five years have served me fine, and I could still make do with it for the moment.

No comments: