Saturday, April 30, 2005

The river at night


Clarke Quay, at night Posted by Hello

Last night, I attended the Annual General Meeting of my organisation as a staff member. The members of the committee were also present.

After the meeting, there was a dinner reception for all committee members and staff who have attended the event. It was a buffet dinner, and the food reminds me of the food I had at Penang, Malaysia. There were (Penang-style) Fried Kway Teow, Penang Laksa, popiah, satay, and so forth. Maybe my friend, Mystic, who travelled with me to Penang last year may like the buffet for nostalgic reasons?

After the dinner reception, I headed for the Robertson Quay, which was nearby. Robertson Quay lies along the Singapore River.

I travelled along the Singapore River and decided to attempt to figure out the names of the bridges along the river. I thought that it would be interesting to do so as every bridges along the river has its own name. Bridges were functional in that they link one side of the river to the other, and I suppose that was why people took the trouble to name the bridges?

The first one that I came across last night was Robertson Bridge. Next was Pulau Saigon Bridge, and then Alkaff Bridge. I personally like the design of Robertson Bridge. I tried to take several photographs of it, but none of them came out satisfactory. Maybe I needed a tripod to ensure that there will be no "camera-shakes" so that the photograph images will come out crisp and clear.

After the Alkaff Bridge, the next bridge that I came across was Ord Bridge. I find that I quite like the simple design of Ord Bridge, and with the lightings on it, it looked beautiful at night.

The picture above that you see was taken somewhere near Ord Bridge. I managed to find a spot where I could place my digital camera on for support, and that enabled me to hold the camera with sufficient amount of steadiness to be able to take such a crisp and clear image. This was the best shot by far for the night.

After Ord Bridge was Read Bridge. When I reached Read Bridge, I was very close to the Reverse Bungy centre. That reminds me of my friend, Mystic. She had wanted to try the Reverse Bungy. I wonder how she has been?

Anyway, I think I would love living along the Singapore River. It is beautiful at night. If you like riding on a bumboat to view the sceneries along the Singapore River, you could try the cruising on one of those bumboats with Singapore River Cruises.

And if you want more information regarding the history of the Singapore River, you may wish to refer to Singapore River Cruise's website: http://www.rivercruise.com.sg/home.htm
Look under "Our River"

1 comment:

Lora said...

That's a good photo Pei Yun. I know what you mean about the camerea shakes's it can be very frustrating. I often brace myself against a stable structure to avoid it. It seems to be much more of a problem with the digital camerea then it ever was with a regular one. It's helpful that you can instantly view your pictures, but in that small viewer it's easy to miss the quiver that can make or break your picture.