Sunday, April 27, 2008

Week 17 of year 2008 on the double bass

20 Apr 2008, Sun: I sight-read an exercise. Afterwhich, time was spent practising the first movement from Dittersdorf's second concerto yet again.

21 Apr 2008, Mon: I sight-read a study from Bottesini's Method for Double Bass Book One. I practised it for a while to get a more clearer sound and articulation. After that, I played the first and second movement of Marcello's Sonata in G major from memory. I made a few mistakes, but after a few take, I actually felt I was a little more spontaneous and sensitive in my playing when I was playing from memory compared to playing while looking at the scores.

I worked on a short section from Dittersdorf's second concerto. Admittedly, the fingers of my left hand were working very hard to play that very section on my double bass.

23 Apr 2008, Wed: I played a few exercises from Hartley Double Bass Solo Book One. After which, I played yet again the first and second movement of Marcello's Sonata in G major from memory. I am needing a nicer tone on the double bass. The left little finger is feeling jerky and weak again. Hopefully that is temporary.

I continued to work on selected sections from Dittersdorf's second concerto. The greatest challenge was for my fingers to stop the strings right to the fingerboard at the higher positions. However, I am sure it will be much easier to do so on many other double basses.

24 Apr 2008, Thu: Double bass lesson focused on working on the first movement from Dittersdorf's second concerto. My tutor, MJ, instructed me that for practising purposes, I should play "on the string" so as to gain greater control of the use of the bow. After gaining greater control, then I can be freed to play off the string just by letting the bow bounce naturally when I play the movement.

No comments: