Thursday, June 16, 2005

Construction works nearby

*Sounds of machines drilling the soil*

*The floor trembling* (Mind you, I could even feel the tremors when I live more than twenty-storeys high.)

*The air is vibrating heavily* (My ear-drums are disturbed by the vibration.)

*Roars*

There are construction works nearby where I stay. I believe it is now at the stage of doing the piling. I don't know, for I know nothing much about contruction works. Anyway, it is 9 p.m. Singapore time, and I cannot believe my ears that the machines are still drilling, and that the construction site is still making so much noises.

The sounds from the construction site are music to my ears. I love the sounds from the orchestra and the double bass better.

Let it be for the sake of development, that my ears have to suffer the noises for the next two or three years. A shopping complex and a air-conditioned bus-terminal will be built at the site of the construction nearby my home. Similarly, for the sake of development, my nose will have to suffer more dust. What else could I do but to avoid being around at home when the site is making noises and dust?

The noises are not that loud yet, but they are disturbing. Sigh.

I had wanted to play on my double bass, but the sounds seem to be too overpowering for my ears to be comfortable with practising on the double bass. If the sounds from the construction site continue for another half an hour, I would start feeling that my world has fell apart!

I thought I could have a recharging time at home when I am back from a busy and overwhelming day at work. Well, I guess I have to be more realistic, don't I?

I could only try to look forward to the shopping complex. Actually, I don't know if I would care if there is a shopping complex nearby. Shopping complexes tend to bring in too much crowd then I could bear. Anyway, for the sake of the convenience of having one nearby in the future, I shall try to think positively.

4 comments:

mistipurple said...

there are some countries where you cannot flush the toilets at night, because the noise might disturb the neighbors. i may be so wrong about this, but i thought i heard it somewhere. anyway, may this silly comment bring some cheers to you, gross taste it might be though.

Hilda said...

Yikes! I hope that you were able to get some sleep. Hopefully today you can practice in peace. Feel better soon!

Lora said...

You live on the 20th floor! I forget how much more densely packed together people are in your part of the world. We americans tend to see lots of space as a sacred right.

I'm suprised they were working so late at night.

Jammie J. said...

I hate construction noise. ugh!