Sunday, June 26, 2005

Declaring a break

I am feeling very tired. It is Sunday, and my weekend for the week will soon end. I have not have enough chance to recharge myself. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that the orchestra rehearsal later this afternoon would help recharge me.

I just played The Elephant by Saint Saens on my double bass about 40 minutes ago. I am contemplating whether I should ask the strings to accompany me to play this work in Aberdeen during one of those ensemble performances. It is a Grade 5 piece, and I should be reasonably competent to play it despite having limited time to practise. I am still undecided. I don't know if I would have enough time to practise with the accompaniment. The only consoling thing is that the accompaniment parts should be relatively manageable. The best part is that I have the original scores. I am trying to do my part to use original scores and respect copyright materials. Yet, I must admit, it can be an inconvenient and expensive affair at times. Despite playing on the double bass, I did not feel recharged. I must have been too tired. Yet, I could not say that playing on the double bass had not been at all fruitful, at least it brought me some companionship this morning.

In addition, I am keeping my fingers crossed that I won't end up half-awake when I catch the Swan Lake production later this evening. I am looking forward to listen to the dance production. Yes, listening. The dance by the Royal Ballet will be set to Tchaikovsky's music. The Ballet will be accompanied by the Shanghai Philharmonic Orchestra, one of China's most prestigious orchestras, under the baton of Russian conductor Valery Ovsyanikov. So if I cannot understand the dance steps, I can still enjoy the music.

Dear fellow readers, thank you for your support and readership. For the next fornight ahead, I may not post everyday. I need some time to rest and to catch up on my rest. I seek your kind understanding. Meantime, please feel free to read my previous posts saved in the archives.

Of course, I have a feeling that my need to write so as to express would make me end up writing almost everyday again. Nevertheless, I doubt I would truly post everyday for the next two weeks. As such, I declare slowing down where blogging is concerned.

Meantime, please take good care too. I know for many of you, you are also facing tight deadlines and loads of work. Please know that you are in my thoughts. Even though I am slowing down in the blogosphere, I will continue to be cheering for you and giving you my moral support.

6 comments:

mistipurple said...

dear ocean, you will also be in my thoughts often. do not feel pressured to write when you need the rest ok? darn, it is getting to look like fellow singaporean bloggers here are so stressed with work.

Anonymous said...

I just read the words "Saint Saens" and I wanted to tell you that he's my favourite composer (ok, one of my favourite). I love his "Dance Macabre".

Anonymous said...

Hi Peiyun,

I'm Jz from NUSSO, and has been reading your blog and enjoying your scenic pictures every now and then.. Would just like to say that I think it's a very good idea to have your double bass item as an ensemble performance. I will give u support and help source players for u if u r interested! My double quartet people should be more than happy!

Emy said...

hey!

THanks for putting the bass back for me today. Sorry, i had to run...

About the saint saens... I think its a wonderful idea. its not every day where someone with a double bass comes along to play CHAMBER music. I love chamber music. My life's dream is to play the Dvorak Double Bass Quintet. Firstly, its Dvorak. Secondly, its the double bass. TWO of my favourite stuff when music comes into view...

I think you should take a rest from music as well. Looks like im not the only weary one. You are too... take a breaK!

pinkie said...

Hi you take care alright :)

Hilda said...

Fun! I'm listening to Carnival of the Animals now because you've inspired me.

Get some well-deserved rest. We'll all be here when you return and the hubby will be patiently waiting.