Sunday, June 12, 2005

*London's museums

Emrah wrote in one of his comments that the admission to all the museums in London is free. What better news to a museum-lover who prefers to be prudent in her budget than this?

Of course, I guess I might still spend quite an amount in order to get myself to participate in as many museum guided tours as my budget would allow. My previous experiences of visiting museum tell me that a good museum guided tour completes the museum-visiting experience.

I got to know from the Insight Fleximap: London that I have gotten yesterday that Insight has published a Insight Fleximap: London Museums & Galleries specially written for anyone who wishes to visit London's world class art galleries and museums. I hope I could lay my hands on it. I still have not spotted Insight Fleximap: London Museums & Galleries when I was at a few of the major bookstores and the libraries.

Anyway, in preparation for my short trip to London after the trip to Aberdeen, I shall write about a few of London's museums in this post.

British Museum

This was founded in 1753. According to The National Geographic Travller: Great Britain, the British Museum is one of the world's great museums.

Here are some of the highlights of the British Museum according to the same above-mentioned travel guide:

  • Room 25: It holds the celebrated Rosetta Stone, which is a stone carved with three scripts - hieroglyphic, demotic and Greek - each recording the same decree of a council of priests in 196 B.C. The discovery of this stone in year 1799 enabled scholars to decipher Egyptian hieoglyphics for the first time in modern history.

  • Room 61: This is filled with ancient Egyptian mummies with elaborately painted cases.


National Gallery

The National Gallery is London's premiere art gallery. It is closed on Sunday mornings. There is a charge for special exhibitions. The nearest tube station is Charing Cross.

I was told by The National Geographic Travller: Great Britain that in order to make the most of my visit there, I should spend my first half hour with the gallery plan and catalog, picking about 30 paintings or artist that I would really like to see.

I think I would wish to see the following:

  • Leonardo da Vinci's The Virgin and Child with St. John the Baptist and St. Anne found in Room 51 (I wonder if it is still in the same room, anyway, I could check it out when I am there).

  • Works by J.M.W. Turner (1775-1851). I like his landscape paintings.

  • I don't think I would miss Room 43, which is packed with works by the Impressionists - Degas, Manet, Pissaro, Money.


Tate Museum

This is located at Millbank, SW1P. The nearest tube station is Pimlico. It is noted to contain the best of British paintings from Tudor times to the 20th century. Works are exhibite in chronological fashion from the 16th century round to the present day.

This gallery also holds the definitive collection of the works of J.M.W. Turner.

Natural History Museum

Situated at Cromwell Road, South Kensington, SW7, the Natural History Museum is a long-time favourite with children. The nearest tube station is South Kensington. The museum is free on Monday - Friday from 4.30 - 5.50 p.m., and Saturday & Sunday from 5 -5.50 p.m. I guess I shall pay the admission rate so that I could have more time in the museum, but I must figure out how much the admssion rates are.

I would love to see the dinosaurs related exhibits. I was told that the vast Gothic edifice is an awe-inspiring attraction in itself. I shall remember to take a photograph of the museum building.

I would like to see the Ecology section which would explained how different life systems interconnect.

In addition, I would love to visit the Earth Galleries. I read that the Power Within exhibition would do a stimulation of the rumble and roar of volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. That sounds exciting.

Theatre Museum

Just along Russell Street is the Theatre Museum. It is supposed to house costumes from famous productions from Alice in Wonderland to Shakespeare. It also houses the handprints of showbiz and theatreland celebrates. It is closed on Mondays. Nearest tube station is Covent Garden.

Victoria & Albert Museum

I was told that I should not miss visiting this museum. This museum can be considered the world's greatest museum of decorative arts.

It has exhibits from all parts of the world, from all periods and in all styles. This is what I find a little confusing, I was told that this museum also houses the National Art Gallery and the Raphael Gallery. Either there was some misinformation on the travel map, or I was awfully slow in understanding London. If you could please help clarify, I would appreciate.

Anyway, the Victoria & Albert Museum is closed on Mondays, and admission is free from 4.30 - 5.45 p.m. except on Wednesdays. It is located at Cromwell South Rd, South Kensington.

**

Meantime, this is all for my post today on London's museums.

Now I have to seriously consider whether I want to pay more money for hotel stay, or if I should check out the hostels. I have emailed to the relevant hotel and hostels for quotations and information on rooms availability, and I am now waiting for the replies. I would really like to pamper myself, but that would mean spending twice or thrice more if I were to choose a hotel over a hostel stay. If I could save some money on accomodation, I could have more to spend on other things (e.g. admission charges and sight-seeing) during the tour. What a dilemma.

8 comments:

mistipurple said...

wowowow, this all sounds sooo exciting! i am sorry i will not be able to advise you on anything remotely global as i have not even sat on a plane before! *shy shy*

oceanskies79 said...

no worries, mistipurple, I shall take photos along the way and show you the adventures.

Emrah said...

Well, I bet you'll feel overwhelmed when you visit the souvenir shops. Since I assume you want to utilise from every minute you're gonna spend in London, I don't think that you'll be in your room sleeping all the time. I guess, you would fall into a deep sleep like a baby after an exhausting city and museums tour. Additionally, you'll spend only a few days in London, not a couple of weeks, i.e. a bearable length for unsatisfying accommodation standards. :-) Thus, from that perspective, why not to save some money and have a ticket to LONDON EYE for stunning city views or to see a musical, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA [the one I saw yesterday for the second time. It is utterly superb!], or the LONDON AQUARIUM, or the LONDON ZOO [which requires an entire day], or the MADAME TOUSSAUT instead? [Options are countless you see :-) ]

P.S.: Err, a minor erratum [perhaps you haven't recognised, but]: I'm a male, so, you may use not "her", but "his"... while writing about me. :-)

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Emrah, I have made the necessary amendments.

Thanks for your suggestions. I would like a good night of sleep in London. I spent 12 nights in Aberdeen in a hostel, I would really appreciate a reasonable accomodation in London, if my budget could allow. Of course, you are right that I won't be spending all the time in the room. I would like to be out visiting London. I guess I am showing my undecisive self.

Are accomodation standards really that bad?

I am keen on watching a musical or even try London eye.....but do I need to get the ticket early, or could I buy it on the day itself?

Emrah said...

Well, it really depends which hotel you're gonna choose. As I said, Bayswater might be a suitable area. But, once you decide where to stay, I will try to find for a way to confirm that that place is good or bad. When you search for accommodation, make sure that the page exhibits the room pics, not the outside view of the hotel. That's the ctirical point. The hotel I have chosen had a cute and nice appearance, but inside it was quite old and below the standards.

In fact, locations such as Kings Cross-St. Pancras, Paddington, Waterloo or London Bridge may not be offering good accommodation quality despite high prices; probably because of, as you may notice, high passenger/client circulation. [Each place is famous with its major train station [some are international], so that overnight visits are quite common.]

If you wanna see a musical, let it be The Phantom. You would not regret I guarantee.

http://www.thephantomoftheopera.com/buy_tickets_london.asp

This is the link where you can find the info about ticket purchasing. After linking to that website, if you click on either "ticketmaster" or "see" logo, you will be linked to another page where you can buy your tickets online. There will surely be performances this August. However, once you decide to buy, let me know first so that aI can make some recommendations for the seating locations. [As some of them have restricted view.]

Emrah said...

Well... And this link is for how to book a ticket for London Eye.

http://www.londoneye.com/

Lora said...

For a trip to London I must strongly reccommend stopping By Westminister Abbey and if you don't get there please tour at least one Cathedral while in Great Britian. They really are incredible.

Emrah said...

A fantastic with full of information about everything in London. Worths to visit.

http://www.visitlondon.com/