Sunday, June 19, 2005

What I look for in a friend?

I remembered Mystic asked me this question and I was sorry that I had not answered her then and there. I needed time and space to verbalise my answers.

So I try to ask myself what I would look for in a good friend. Here are some of my thoughts. Not in order of priority. :

1) A respectful companion who would remember that I tend to get overwhelmed with noise and too much activity in my external environment.

2) A friend who would be patient with me. I can get indecisive, irritable, insolent, unwell and/or unpredictable at times.

3) A friend who would remember to respect my need for space, and quiet time to reflect. I needed lots of space.

4) A friend who would try to seek to understand me and my idiosyncrasies. Despite me being hard to be understood many of the times.

5) A friend who would be willing to allow me to express myself in writings than verbally. I feel more comfortable expressing myself in writing.

6) A friend who would be willing to spend occassional time walking about places with me. Many of the times, I needed to soothe those feelings of sadness, hurt, uncertainties and disappointments that life may present, and walking helps to soothe many of the times.

7) A friend who cares to share part of his/her world with me. I care to listen and to seek to understand.

8) A friend could have differing outlooks to life than me, and I value these differences because they expand my view of the world.

9) A friend who would recognise that I do not enjoy answering questions verbally and would not pursue or pressurise me if I were to choose not to answer.

10) This is what I value quite a lot: A friend who lends encouragement and support whenever needed.

11) Show me his/ her concern when needed. I can get touched easily, even if I don't show it openly.

1 comment:

mistipurple said...

i wish you the best in finding this friend. i believe you have also found this friend in Mystic. i am happy for you. it is difficult in a life-time to find a friend who understands us so well, and when we do find him/her, it makes the journey so much more fulfilling. ya.. life is a journey.