Monday, June 06, 2005

Getting over Monday blues

It has been quite an exhausting day. I could only be pleased and take some delight that I have completed my writing of two social reports during the day.

In general, a social report comprises of the background of a particular case, gives a summary of the social and economic situation of the family referred to in the case, and presents the social worker's assessments and recommendations.

By the time when I stepped out of office, I felt awfully drained mentally. Physically, I was not too strong. It was perhaps because my body has been still fighting the virus.

Actually, today I did not have much of the Monday blues. I suppose the orchestra rehearsals yesterday has given me a very good outlet for creative expression such that all those potential energies that may result in Monday blues have all been dissipated. In fact, my mind was singing the tunes of the Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony when I was on my way to office. There was no room for Monday blues.

I guess I felt drained by the end of the day due to too much mental work. Social reports are much more than exercises of one's typing speed, they are actually demanding mental tasks. There are so much thinking that a social worker has to put in. Not forgetting, there have been a lot of work just to gather those information required for writing a good social report.

I could only seek that people start to recognise the work that social workers do, and give social workers the due recognition. And hopefully, those due recognition could translate into more deserving remuneration for social workers. Else at this current rate, the social service sector would not be able to attract enough capable social workers and the existing ones would be overworked. Overworked social workers may not feel satisfied to continue in the sector, and then there will be much more empty vacancies to fill. A vicious cycle.

(In case you get me wrong, I shall inform you that the last paragraph is intended as a general remark to advocate for the welfare of fellow social workers out there.)

No comments: