Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Chinese New Year in Chinatown

If the attempts to try to look for joyful things to indulge in may make one happier, one would do so.

Surprisingly, the older I grow, the less joy I could derive from the Chinese New Year. Maybe it is because I start to associate Chinese New Year with loud music playing along the streets, people crowding the streets buying their festive goodies and the strange feeling of meeting so many of one's relatives within the span of a couple of days. These can become overloads to me when my preference is for a peaceful context where I could spend time just interacting with not-too-many people.

It is then blogs like Bullockcartwater that allowed me to get a preview of the festive moods while sitting back to watch the world go by. Then this is when I realised that the Chinese New Year is drawing near. The first day of the Chinese New Year is on 29 Jan 2006.

Actually, I would rather visit Chinatown to see the various heritage sites than to visit it to do shopping for the festive season. If I were to be alone, I would have shy away instantaneously from any single clue of crowd that I see.

2 comments:

chinatownboy said...

Ah, Chinese New Year in Chinatown brings back memories of my younger days, when we only bought new clothings just before the CNY. And where else, but Chinatown where it was cheap. Glad that you are able to see what's happenin on that wet, noisy and crowded night. (^^)

fr said...

I too get less joy from CNY as I grow older. Perhaps it is natural because we have gone through so many. However, I still like CNY - the atmosphere, the traditional CNY songs, seeing others doing frentic shopping...Even the house-cleaning can be a joy.