Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Questions on cadences

Despite the rain, I have a need to be out of the home to just do as much walking as my feet could possibly bear. So I set off to Marina Square Shopping Mall for an early dinner before walking about the places in that very district. A pity that the library@esplanade was not opened today, so I had to find alternative places to do some reading up.

I tried to read up on the topic of Cadences and Simple Harmonisation this evening while sitting down on one of the benches located within a shopping mall. Thank goodness that that part of the shopping mall is relatively spacious and not too noisy for me.

There are still quite a number of concepts that I don't understand and now, music theory seems to be getting more and more complex. I think I would have lots of questions to ask when I attend the music theory class this coming Thursday.

Somehow, reading about cadences forced me to think over whether I should be taking Grade 8 practical in Double Bass this year. There is an aural section of the practical that requires one to identify what kind of cadences are being played.

Please pardon me, it must have been a lack of training, I still can't figure out on my own how to do so with accuracy and confidence. But I guess that comes with lots of listening and practising?

Hopefully, knowing the theory behind cadences would help me listen and identify cadences better?

**
Now, I am just trying my very best not to let the rainy weather get me down.

5 comments:

mistipurple said...

one can pass the gd 8 with the bare essential knowledge, or get there with a firm grasp.
you can choose to do either, depending on the need to get the credentials, and do the follow-up on a fuller understanding as you go along.

oceanskies79 said...

well, it is good to obtain some credentials soon, yet, I suppose if I have a firm grasp of those knowledge, I could earn a better grade for the practical exams.

Emy said...

hey peiyun. if ur early tmr, we can do a little cadences identification on the piano. if it would make u more confident on ur aural. trust me, its easy! =)

dreaming-neko said...

rainy days can get anyone down... they're best enjoyed with good company and a hot drink :)

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Simple Amercian, actually, I am more keen to do those kind of cadences identification that Emily had mentioned.

I didn't know that there were such things as drum cadences. I am clueless about that.