Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Soft-cases

For those who are keen to learn more about the double bass, Jason Heath has a post titled: Sorting out double bass gig bags.

I have bought myself (or rather, my dear double bass) a new soft case this July. This was purchased from a local music shop in Singapore. It costs about S$320. The factors that prompted me to purchase it are as follow:

1) it has two wheels underneath (so I can roll the double bass from places to places).

2) it has fairly thick padding (although it may not be as thick as the Mooradian double bass soft-cases that Jason has mentioned

3) it has a number of fairly sturdy handles so that increases the ease of handling and carrying my instrument

4) Cost-effectiveness. It can be purchased locally. I have calculated that if I were to get a Mooradian soft-case, I am likely to have to purchase it from online overseas sources, and the cost can be fairly high after including the air freight charges and factoring in the exchange rate. Having bought it from local sources, I hope that it would be more convenient for me to seek help if the soft-case needs some form of maintenance (e.g. a wheel replacement).

Let's hope that this case would serve me well enough for a couple of years at least. Here's a snapshot of my double bass in the new double bass soft-case.

No comments: