Monday, October 30, 2006

Treats on a Sunday evening

Yesterday, on a Sunday evening, I was treated to an evening of good music performed by The Philharmonic Orchestra.

The orchestra's rendition of Mozart's Symphony No. 36 was delightful enough that I was able to stay wide awake throughout this symphony. Although it sounded nice overall, I experienced the rendition as just slightly above average. Somehow, something felt missing. But pardon me please, I am possibly not a master in music to tell what was missing.

My favourite for the evening was the orchestra's rendition of Shostakovich's Symphony No. 7. I experienced it as being ten times better, ten times more moving and spectular than Mozart's Symphony No. 36. I think this is one work that I am glad that I have listened to it live! The nuances in this work may be slightly lost in recording.

The orchestra's rendition of Shostakovich's Symphony No. 7 sounds as good as a professional orchestra, if not better. Perhaps the orchestra members were able to spend adequate time to rehearse together and to better appreciate the nuances in the complexities of this symphony? Music-making is often not like the fast-food industry. Some music require time for the players to appreciate the nuances in the music, and to translate their appreciation of these nuances in their playing.

I also like the way Seah Huan Yuh led the violins in Shostakovich's Symphony No. 7. He has great stage presence, good leadership, and an infectiously moving interpretation of Shostakovich's work.

The percussion section was good too. I also enjoyed the colours and textures that came about from the relatively large winds and brass section required by this very work.

On the whole, every player gave his/ her very best.

There are many other good things I have noticed about last evening's concert, but I shall not attempt to write everything down on this post. Some experiences are just meant to be savoured and not be written down fully.

Anyway, overall, last evening's concert was a very good concert very well worth my time and money. I was so moved that I wanted to stand up to give the orchestra a standing ovation after the orchestra played Shostakovich's Symphony No. 7, but I decided to be a little more reserved yesterday.

Congratulations to TPO for a good concert. Folks, do consider keeping your day free to listen to this orchestra's next concert. (Just that I have yet to have any detail.)

No comments: