Thursday, October 19, 2006

How does one express?

I beg all readers to pardon me. I hereby declare that I am feeling awfully exhausted, and at times I just feel that my days will be ending soon. The feeling of exhaustion seems to have a draining effect on me.

**
Anyway, today I have an interesting double bass lesson with my tutor, MJ. For the first time since a span of two and a half months, today's lesson was the first time when I did not play the Marcello's Sonata in g minor. I like the Marcello's sonata but I also welcomed the slight change from the routine. It probably implied that MJ felt I have managed to have made a fair improvement in my foundational skills to move on to try out more advanced works.

We started the lesson looking through the ABRSM Diploma Exams syllabus. I only have the copy of the 2001 syllabus (which is similar to the 2006 syllabus). I am hoping to get my hands on the latest syllabus, if there is any.

Anyway, MJ gave me a sight-reading challenge by asking me to sightread the following:
the first 90 bars from the first movement of A. Capuzzi's Concerto in D major and the first 52 bars from the first movement of Franz Keyper's Romance and Rondo.

My sight-reading skills still needed a lot of work. I was delighted to hear from MJ that he shall start to make me do sight-reading studies and work on improving my sight-reading skills.

Then MJ spent most of the lesson to start me on playing Franz Keyper's Romance and Rondo. The first movement: Adagio sounded like a touching and sentimental piece of music even though this was the first few times that I have played it. I knew it because I heard MJ's demonstration (he was sight-reading marvellously!) of the first 54 bars of this movement during today's lesson. I love the way the music sounds and while playing this movement during today's lesson, I tried to strive to express the sentimental and expressive characteristic of the movement. MJ described that I can relate to certain bars from this movement by imagining a pair of lovers having an intimate dialogue with one another. This movement is largely an expression of love.

After I have managed to get a better idea of the rhythms and the fingerings, playing the notes became manageable. The greater challenge was to play this movement musically, to move the hearts of whoever would be listening (I was trying to imagine myself playing in a recital).

How does one express? A good technical foundation would help me to play this work more competently, but the greater challenges would be to develop a sensitive ear for music and a soul that plays music from the heart.

Before the end of today's lesson, MJ demonstrated how to play the 20 bars of harmonics found in the second movement of Keyper's Romance and Rondo.

I am looking forward to studying and playing Keyper's Romance and Rondo. It sounds like a nice piece of music. I shall practise it over this weekend.

***
I had intended to practise those 20 bars of harmonics from the second movement of Keyper's Romance and Rondo after returning home from my music theory class, but I shall postpone my plans. I am feeling very tired from the day and the air pollution is making the air unpleasant for breathing.

No comments: