Monday, August 20, 2007

Ten things that happened to me

I was tagged by Two Crazy Dogs of Life with the Two Crazy Dogs.

In no particular order:

1. I started playing the double bass when I was 13 years old.
When I was 13 years old, I did not expect myself to be playing the instrument 15 years later. Whatever it is, I am glad I am still playing.

2. A scar on the left eye-brow.
I was probably 8 or 9 years old. While at home, I had an accident when I was running about, and I hit the left of my upper face against one of the furniture. Next thing was that there was blood. I was taken to see a doctor and she stitched the wounds. Now the scar remains.

3. I wore braces.
My teeth, especially the ones on the upper front row were misaligned. As such, just before I took my Primary School Leaving Examinations at age 12, I started wearing braces for about four years.

4. About one year of being selectively mute when I was in kindergarten level one.
Possibly I did not feel prepared to attend kindergarten classes. When it was my first day attending the kindergarten classes, I cried to ask to be out of the class. Probably I could not know how to adjust, for about one year, I was basically not talking to anyone during the kindergarten class. If I wish to communicate, the other party would have to read my lips to figure out what I wish to say. That was the case too when I had to sit for oral tests.

5. First time travelling overseas.
I was 13 years old then. I travelled to Australia, Brisbane, with other participants of the school's cultural exchange programme.

6. I visited Aberdeen, Scotland.
In the year 2005, I visited Aberdeen to participate in the Aberdeen International Youth Festival. Aberdeen is a lovely place, so is Scotland. I wish I could visit it again. My related posts on Aberdeen can be found here.

7. I became interested in visiting the museums.
I generally have quite good experience in visiting museums. Thankfully, my father had been generous when I requested to visit various museums and places-of-interest when I was young. Probably my interest for museums started then. It was quite fun reading tour guides and tour brochures which my mother brought home (She works in a hotel). I suppose the interest has developed further, and now I am a Friend of Yesterday.sg.

8. I joined the University's Symphony Orchestra.
University's life has its ups and downs. Reflecting, some of my better times in the university was spent playing the double bass as a member of the university's orchestra. I still enjoy the time when I would use the music studios at least twice or thrice a week just to practise on the double bass.

9. A double bass as a 21st birthday gift.
I have my mother to thank for one of the most invaluable gifts that I have received.

10. I became interested in touring Singapore.
After my final year examinations from the university, I set aside time visiting various museums in Singapore. In addition, I picked up tour brochures and began visiting various parts of Singapore (e.g Chinatown, Little India) on foot on my own. At times I would bring out my sketch book to sketch. I still travel about various parts of Singapore nowadays when time permits, and I can say that it is fun to learn about this country that I live and grow up in.



Life is not just about the ten things above, but I suppose these are things that I am comfortable to share.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

PY, thanks for doing the tag and sharing them.

oceanskies79 said...

Dawn: You are welcome.

Simple American said...

Thanks for sharing this. Good to get to know you some more.

Anonymous said...

PY, quite curious about your sketch bk :)

oceanskies79 said...

SA: :)

Homesafe: What would you like to find out about the sketch book?

Anonymous said...

curious about the sketches inside the book.I remember i do have one during my secondary days, but it's meant for my art teacher..lol..

oceanskies79 said...

Homesafe: If I have easier access to a scanner, I can consider putting up some of the sketches.

Anyway, the sketches consist largely of sketches of buildings and landscapes.