Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Tiring day, but had the double bass' company in the evening

Today has been such a tiring day! I began the day feeling not quite well. It must be partly due to the poor air.

There has been quite a lot of work lately, and that added to the general sense of me feeling stretched. At the end of the work day, I was feeling tired. I tried to have as much quiet time as possible on the way home. That has helped me to recharge a little.

Later in the evening, I sought solace in the double bass. No playing of scales today. Instead, I tried to practise Mendelssohn's The Hebrides. The double bass parts of course. There was quite a lot of challenging passages in The Hebrides for the double bass. I had played this piece about six years ago, but I could not manage those passages. Now, I find the passages much more manageable. Perhaps this is an indication of some amount of progress and improvement in the level of my playing?

Then I practised the fourth movement of the Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony, just to familiarise myself with the fingerings.

Hopefully this evening's practice would help prepare me for the upcoming orchestra rehearsal on 27 March. I was not in the mood to practise any solo music tonight. Maybe I don't find it very appealing to play solo music on my double bass? It seemed to serve better for orchestral purposes.

No comments: