Monday, May 30, 2005

Jamming with my best friend

Soon the month of May will be over. I am reflecting on my work style and see if I could do things slightly differently in order to be effective and efficient, and yet not to overwhelm myself unnecessary.

Yours truly is an introvert. I would think that it takes more courage for an introvert to share his/ her innermost thoughts as compared to extrovert. In fact, it felt uncomfortable to share whatever that I am feeling deep down, such that if I may rather not. Too much of energy would be needed. It in turn becomes more of an issue of energy rather than courage. Maybe I might be wrong, so share your feedback with me if this was the case. If you do see me sharing my innermost self, especially verbally, please bear with my discomfort. It just feels so unsafe to share my innermost self with the outer world, especially verbally. Writing would be easier. Then again, unless I share myself with the outer world, I remain an enigma to the rest of the world. I think I won't mind, I love the term "enigma". Then the world would find me mysterious, I like feeling special. But I must admit that I am begging to be understood just the same. So at times when I feel out of place with the rest of the world, that bugging pain hits me. Balance might be the key, and I am still trying to find it. How to balance sharing just enough of myself to have the world understand me enough, and yet not overdo it such that I drain myself?

Overwhelmed is the subtitle of the day. I was awfully tired by the end of the work day. I did accomplished a few things, so I am glad. More to go. Cheer me on.

I actually thought I might be too tired to play on the double bass. I almost was. Then my best friend, the double bass, seemed to urge me just to play it not for the sake of improving my playing, but for the sake of entertaining myself. Then for about 45 minutes in the night, I was jamming with the best friend of mine. He has been a great company lately. It pleases me that his tone (of voice) is getting better of late. Better than the raw sound that he had started out with.

I played the Marcello's Sonata in g minor. More so, I was jamming. Gosh, my pitching wasn't 100% perfect today, but I had a good time working-out and jamming with the double bass. Next, I played excerpts from Mendelssohn's Fingals Cave and then Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony. I love the sound of the double bass, and having to challenge myself physically to play it. For one thing, it is at least a 2-metres tall baby. As such, it demands more physical strength from the player, than say, a violin or a flute. So if I avoid exercising, my double bass would still make me willingly use my physical strength. I think I am loving it more, and it deserving earns the title of being my "Husband".

After the jamming session, I felt better. What better gift the world could give one than invaluable friendship?

I am not just referring to my best friend, the double bass. I am referring to the readers of my blog who have silently or openly been supporting me. I thank you for walking the journey with me. Cheers to friendship!

2 comments:

pinkie said...

Cheers!

I believe in just being myself... but if you think you will be happier having some changes and being out of comfort zone, go ahead and try?

mistipurple said...

a belated thanks for walking the journey with me too! :)