Thursday, May 26, 2005

Treat for your eyes


CHIJMES, Singapore. Posted by Hello

It is Thursday. I felt awfully tired at the end of the work day.

Earlier today, I asked the intern whom I am supervising to think about what would keep her motivated in the work that social workers do. There are ups and downs in the profession, probably in every kind of profession. My supervisor told me that this would be an important question to ask so that in down times, there would be a source of strength to keep one going.

I thought for a moment, and I think what keeps me motivated in the job is to have the privilege to witness the strengths that my clients demonstrate along the way. It reminds me of the power and strength of humanity, on its most positive note. Many of my clients started unsure if they could meet up with life's challenges, but through efforts of their own, they managed to overcome life's challenges.

Hopefully this source of motivation would keep me going for a while, long enough for the "better times" to come. It has made me feel like crying right inside when work gets too overwhelming. It has been.

I could at this point in time try to comfort myself by treating my eyes to a photograph that I had taken. Somehow, I hope it would give one a sense of beauty and serenity. I have a feeling that some of the readers of this blog might like it. Would you?

2 comments:

mistipurple said...

yet again another pic so well conveyed. u truly have a keen eye for angles. looks so european in the settings that you've captured! anyway, chij chapel (convent of the holy infant jesus)has french origins. (i was from that school!)
and yes, this pic soothes me quite a bit.

oceanskies79 said...

Thanks for the compliments.