Sunday, May 15, 2005

Lunch with grandma

Thanks to SingNet (the company which I subscribe to for broadband connection), I got a special voucher that would allow me to get a complimentary buffet meal for one person at the cafe of Hotel Phoenix. There was a condition to the use of this voucher, I must use it on the same month as my birthday, or the month immediately following it. Also, in order to use this voucher, there must be an accompanying paying guest.

I have been to the cafe at Hotel Phoenix, and the food there tastes pretty good. I thought it would be good to give my maternal grandmother a treat. Of course, I could also take it as a chance to give myself a treat too.

So yesterday afternoon, I asked my grandmother out and we went to have buffet lunch at Hotel Phoenix's Cafe. Lunch was good. I was glad that the food there suited my grandmother's taste. She said she like the sausages and the smoked salmon. She also found the steamed fish in soya sauce to be nice.

The roti prata there is supposedly quite good. I had tried it once about a few months ago, and I felt it was nice. Yesterday's roti prata was not quite up to expectation. That was probably because the chicken curry and the mutton curry that was supposed to go with the roti prata did not taste as nice yesterday. Somehow, I felt that the proportions of the spices in the curries were just wrong, at least for yesterday.

I like the smoked salmon and the mussels. The chicken in creamy mushroom sauce was nice too. The noodles were good too, at least the noodles weren't too oily, and the beansprouts found in the noodles are fresh. The durian cake is nice and rich, but since it was rich, I did not have more than half a slice of it.

Lunch was also good in that I could grab some time to chat with my grandmother.

So here's a short post about yesterday's lunch with my grandmother.

Actually, if I were to choose, I would prefer breakfast over lunch. I prefer the menu for breakfast.

3 comments:

mistipurple said...

yummy, sounds delicious. glad you had a "foodful" day with grandma!

Emy said...

hey! im so jealous... but im off expensive food for a long long time. until i start making money that is... *bleah*

anyway, sorry to put u off, but do you know... ROTI PRATA = 12 CHOCOLATE BARS OF CALORIES? i hope that puts u off prata for a while. it certainly put mi off prata for a long time...

12 chocoloats vs 1 prata. obviously the choice is obvious right... *haha*

Lora said...

I had never even heard of roti prata before. I googled it to find out more and it seems like it's the national dish of Singapore, good to know. It sounds yummy and versatile, though not an everyday food.