Sunday, May 15, 2005

Double bass recital on 14 May 2005

Yesterday, I attended a double bass recital at the YMS Arts Centre.

Xu Li was playing the double bass for this recital. Also playing in this recital was Mr Yew Hong Chow, on the harmonica.

Double bass recital in Singapore aren't so frequent as compared to violin, or piano recitals. So, despite feeling quite tired from a long week, I decided to drag myself there to listen.

The double bass was quite a difficult-to-play instrument. I would say it is to some extent, more physically demanding than playing the violin or the viola. So I would say that although there were a few slip-ups in the playing, Xu Li played reasonably well. It was commendable for him to organise such a recital to share double bass music with us all.

I think I would need at least a few years (maybe more) of good, solid practising before I could play as good as Xu Li. I wish I could be good enough to give a recital of such nature one day. Now, that means more practise, and perhaps considering the possibility of registering myself as a music student to spend more time to study the double bass. I find myself uncertain if this would be the path I would be committed to take.

Anyway, Xu Li played the following for this recital, on the double bass:
  • Teleman - Unaccompanied Sonata in A major (1st and 2nd movement)
  • Bottesini's - Grand Allegro "alla Mendelssohn"
  • Gliere - Four Pieces for bass and piano
  • Bracali - "Soliloquy" for bass solo (2004)
Then I got to realise that the piece that I had heard during the masterclass which I had attended earlier this month was the Bottesini's piece.

Mr Yew
who played the harmonica last evening also captivated my ears. Where it comes to harmonica, I have only heard the harmonica being played by harmonica students who are my age or younger. So, I must say, before I had attended the recital, I was uncertain if I would enjoy the harmonica segments of the recital. Anyway, I am pleased that I did. I think Mr Yew has a good tone of sound on his harmonica. He played musically too. Now, I could have a different and more positive opinion about harmonica playing. Thanks to Mr Yew. I quite like his rendition of Schubert's Cradle Song and Brahms' Hungarian Dance No. 6.

So despite a tiring day, I was able to stay alert throughout the entire of last evening's recital. Things would have been more perfect if more double bassists could be present to listen.

2 comments:

mistipurple said...

thanks for keeping us posted on the cultural scene. am happy to hear you enjoyed mr yew's playing. he has indeed been a long time veteran on the harmonic.

crazycat said...

hi hi, got here from purple's blog.. i am happy to find that u play instruments (which one?).. i am struggling with mine (violin).. being super late starter and all that.. =)