Thursday, January 29, 2009

Read: Robert Cormier's The BumbleBee Flies Anyway

I have finished reading Robert Cormier's The Bumblebee Flies Anyway on the night of 26 Jan 2009. I am probably in a spree to read. There is so much out in the world for me to learn and to absorb, so that one day when time requires, I would be able to give good output that would serve a meaningful purpose.

The Bumblebee Flies Anyway is fairly descriptive and yet I find myself skimming through the descriptions. My preference is to understand the big picture and the general outline of the book. It still is taking me a while to figure out the key essence of this book. Perhaps the key message is about the significance for one to realise one's dreams and helping others to fulfill their dreams, even when circumstances are pitting against oneself?

I have found a sypnosis of this book from BookLounge.ca, and here it goes:
Sixteen-year-old Barney can't remember life before the Complex, an experimental clinlc. He knows he's different--he's the control subject. Then he uncovers a terrible secret about himself, a secret that drives him to fulfill his and his fellow subjects' ultimate dream. The Bumblebee must fly!

What about bumblebees? Why are bumblebees aerodynamically incapable of flying? According to what was written in the book, based on weight ratios to wing power and wind resistance, the bumblebee should not be able to fly. However, the bumblebee doesn’t know that, so it flies anyway.

I wonder: Would it be the case that when we don't give attention to our limitations, we will be more able to go againsts all the odds and realise our dreams?

To be frank, I still don't quite fully comprehend the author's style of writing and the embedded messages in this book. Possibly, this is because I seldom read fiction books, and I do find fiction books harder to read than non-fiction ones. Anyway, I am glad that I had read it. I have at least read one more fiction book. Yeah!

3 comments:

mistipurple said...

i feel like a bumblebee now, flying against the odds. lol.

pinkie said...

I think many times we are restricted by our own thoughts, of what we CANNOT do and hence dare not try to do?

Am happy for you that you've completed another fiction book!

oceanskies79 said...

Misti: Whatever, the bumblebee flies anyway, and that is more important. :)

Pinkie: Ya, to think about how restrictive our thoughts can be. It is not our physical limitations that limits us, but our thoughts that restricted us at times. A nice fiction book to ponder about.