Thursday, October 14, 2004

"I don't know what to do with my life"

I read this article from the INFJ Handbook: http://www.infj.com/INFJ_Careers.htm, and to much extent, I could very well relate to the article, and I agree very much to it.

The article suggests that:
A common refrain among INFJs -- of EVERY age -- is "I don't know what I want to be when I grow up." Another variation is, "I don't know what to do with my life."


This I would agree. I had a hard time trying to decide what courses and which streams to take in my Junior College years, and university years. It is as if that if I don't make a wise enough choice, I would have spent my time to meaningless waste.

There is this section in the article which I had found insightful, and I shall share here:
One of the most profound changes of the last decade is that each person today is now the architect of his or her own career. You can no longer rely on a corporation to take care of you and accept responsibility for your long-term success in your work life. Recent studies show that the typical adult now changes careers between 5 and 7 times during their lifetime -- a dramatic shift away from the sort of career path we were encouraged to follow as recently as 20 years ago. As a result, you must think and act for yourself, and act as if you are president of your own personal services corporation. Self-help experts insist that you are always self-employed, no matter who signs your paycheck -- and the biggest mistake anyone can make is to suppose that they work for anyone but themself.


So I shall leave you to ponder over this article. Hopefully, it may give you some insights to the inner struggles that I often experience (I shall assure that the struggles bothered me less than it used to be, and I am managing it better). Enjoy!


3 comments:

Waterfall said...

Good like figuring out what you want to do! There are so many possibilities. Just remember to do something you enjoy. They says that if you do what you love, the money will follow ... I've found that to be (mostly) true. Actually, my full-time job is something I don't love (but I don't hate it, either) ... that way I don't get burned out on the things I do love (music, writing, and hiking).

I am an INFP. Good to find another "NF" in the blogosphere. We're pretty rare, compared to the other types!

Waterfall said...

I wrote "good like." I meant "good luck"!!

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Waterfall, thank you for the encouragement. I believe I shall one day find what I would like to do. It may take time. Anyway, I suppose the best I could do is to take things easy, and enjoy the process of finding my purpose in life. May you have a good day.