Sunday, October 17, 2004

Avoiding the Crowds

Yesterday, my mother informed me that there is a sale going on at this particular departmental store, and the next day would be the last day of the sale. It so happens that I needed to get myself a suit as part of my working attire, so I decided to check it out.

For those who know me, I hate crowded and noisy places, and today, the last day of the sale, is a Sunday. It can prove to be a stressful experience for me to be in that part of Singapore (Orchard Road) on a Sunday. The crowd usually starts coming by noon time.

To work my way around this, I left for Orchard Road at 9.20 a.m. in the morning. I have no problem waking up early, even if it is a Sunday, so I am thankful for this. By the time that I reached Orchard Road, the store has yet to be opened for business for the day.

So, tempted, I got myself breakfast from a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf outlet. Well, it is affordable, and the toast and the apricots are relatively nice. But I think the eggs, the sausage and the preserve could be better. I think I would still prefer the breakfast at Dome. It taste much better for just about $2 more. I like the Dome outlet at the Singapore Art Museum. Nice ambience, and nearby one of my favourite places.

Back to my point, I find it is so much less crowded to shop on a Sunday if I were to shop before noon. Actually there was already a relatively long queue at the changing rooms of the departmental store starting from 11.30 a.m. I might have bought more items from the store, if I had not noticed the long queue and the coming of the crowd. Well, it should have been less crowded to shop on a weekday morning, but well, I would have been in the office on most weekday mornings. So here is an account of how I avoid the crowds.

1 comment:

mistipurple said...

same thing with me. i try to shop on a weekday if i must. i dont like crowds, even if there is a worthwhile sale. partly i have health constraints so crowds put me off. besides, i wouldnt be able to think properly in a crowd. there's too many people grabbing stuff and its gets too unruly for comfort. hope u managed to get your suit! :)