Friday, October 29, 2004

Music's in the Air

Tonight, I attended a concert by the Singapore Symphony Orchestra at the Esplanade - Theatres by the Bay, Concert Hall.

Here is the programme:
  • John Sharpley's Symphony No. 1 (World Premiere)
  • Frederic Chopin's Piano Concerto No. 2 in F minor, Op. 21
  • Johannes Brahms' Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op 73



Perhaps it was due to greater exposure to Romantic music, I found myself more able to relate to the compositions by Chopin and Brahms. The first programme played by the orchestra was a world premiere of the first symphony of the orchestra's current conductor-in-residence. My general impression of this piece of composition is that it has interesting musical texture. However, I must admit I have yet to find a way to be able to relate to this piece of work. It was so much easier for me to relate to Chopin's second piano concerto, and Brahm's second symphony, as compared to this piece of contemporary music.

I suspect that if I were to have been able to attend the pre-concert talk, I might be able to understand tonight's world premiere of the contemporary music, and then I would have been much more able to appreciate the core essences of the world. Such is a pity, but inevitable. It was quite difficult to rush to the venue in time for the pre-concert talk that usually starts at 6.30 p.m. Anyway, I do not have the slightest idea whether there was indeed a pre-concert talk this evening.

Whatever it is, it was pleasant to listen to music by one of my favourite composers (Brahms), but somehow, tonight's experience wasn't any where near the better concert experiences that I have had. Tonight's experience was simply average. Maybe it was because I was feeling rather tired mentally tonight?

For the evening, I tried to find pleasure in taking snapshots of the Esplanade - Theatres on the Bay, using my digital camera. The previous time I was at the Esplanade, I mistook my pair of binoculars for my digital camera, and ended up not having my digital camera with me. Finally, I have gotten it right this time, and had the digital camera along with me. I shall post snapshots of the Esplanade. May it brings you to look at it from different perspectives. Good night.

No comments: