Monday, February 28, 2005

Communicating Effectively with INFJs

If you experience difficulties getting through to me, perhaps you might have used a communication method that does not work well with me. Maybe that it why a few folks seem to feel awfully frustrated trying to talk to me?

My MBTI profile is that of INFJ. This means that I have preference for Introversion, Intuition, Feeling and Judging.

To find out more about MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator), please check out these webpages:
So I shall attempt to share with you about ways to communicate more effectively with INFJs, people whose MBTI profile is "INFJ". The materials are extracted from Donna Dunning's Introduction to Type and Communication. You may see if it helps you communicate better with INFJs.

Do:
  • Be sincere, genuine, affirming, appreciative and supportive
  • Recognise their values and contribution, and listen carefully to their insights
  • Give them broad, conceptual information and quiet, uninterrupted time to process it
  • Relate facts and details to ideals and possibilities; show how people will be affected
  • Share your vision and highlight ideas and insights
  • Share your values and the personal meaning behind the data
  • Use abstract language and be willing to think outside the box
  • Show them alternative perspectives
  • Give feedback as early as possible when working on projects or making plans
  • Present complex challenges that will be meaningful and valuable

Don't:
  • Come across as overly critical or judgmental
  • Expect them to change their minds quickly or give an immediate response
  • Surprise them or introduce change without providing an overview and rationale
  • Share only part of the information or ask them to take a quick look at something
  • Provide feedback when they have completed planning or are implementing a project
  • Focus on unimportant details or routine matters
  • Expect or ask for immediate buy-in for a new idea
  • Tell them specifics or give them details about how to do something
  • Focus on the logical implications at the expense of the people and values involved
  • Concentrate mainly on the short-term, immediate situation

******************
If you would like to get an assessment of your MBTI profile, you may like to check out: http://www.asianicpsych.com.au/dev_assess.html. I understand that there is a fee though for the online assessment.

By the way, yours truly is an accredited administrator of MBTI, which means that I am qualified to administer the MBTI inventory and interpret the results.

5 comments:

Goat Almighty said...

So I shall attempt to share with you about ways to communicate more effectively with INFJs...please pardon my bluntness, but isn't communication a 2 way thing?

Anonymous said...

My boss last year always provided the overview and her thoughts on how to implement. Then she would let me think it over. She always knew I'd be back in about an hour with questions specific to implementing things.

My other boss micromanaged how he wanted things done and didn't welcome any questions.

Of course, communication is a two way street. But it takes learning HOW to communicate with each type of personality for it to be effective. I got the sense that this post was specific to giving insight on how to communicate with the INFJ type of personality, not necessarily a slam against communication in general.

--Jeanette

oceanskies79 said...

Oh yes, Jeanette, this post is indeed just specific to giving insights on how to communicate with the INFJ type of personality.

I agree that communication is two-way. Actually, in Donna Dunning's "Introduction to Type and Communication", there are also communication tips for the INFJ to communicate more effectively with other types. But it didn't quite serve my objectives for writing this post to warrant me to include the communication tips for INFJ.

Though one of the things that I have learnt about communicating with other personality types is that I should remember that others may not prefer metaphors or other forms of abstract language, so I would try to explain my thoughts in practical language and share immediate applications.

"Introduction to Type and Communication" is quite an interesting book to read, I should say.

Goat Almighty said...

that wasn't a slam against anything. thought i'd just clarify that out. hope you didn't take it that way.

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Mr Loobz, no worries, I know you never meant that way. Thanks for clarifying.