Sunday, February 27, 2005

Testing how I deal with adversity?

There was orchestra rehearsal this afternoon at 2 p.m. I wonder if it was meant to be a scheme to test how I deal with adversity, but I think I had met with one today.

I reached the rehearsal venue at about 1.30 p.m., and the technician had just opened the doors of the rehearsal venue. Practising to show gratitude, I to a short moment to thank him for opening the doors.

Then I proceeded to the storage room which was nearby. When I saw there were only two double basses left in the room (one of them was my regular orchestra double bass whose sound-post had fallen on the day of the last rehearsal), I nearly wanted to scream in anguish. Anyway, I didn't. The best thing to do in that kind of adverse situation was to stay composed and calm.

If things had gone on smoothly, I should be seeing eight double basses in the storage room. For today's rehearsal, we are expecting four double bassists. With only two double basses left, one of them which is not in working condition, I saw that we had only one double bass left for today's orchestra rehearsal. This meant we are short of three double basses for today's rehearsals!

So I gave a phone call to the ex-logistic officer, RX, to ask if one of the seniors, YH, would be returning one of the double basses that she had loaned. It was good news to know that YH would be returning one double bass today, and should reach before 2 p.m.

It was not too difficult to solve the mystery of the missing double basses. I reasoned that the Chinese orchestra had taken the double basses to another rehearsal venue (the cultural centre). I checked with RX over the phone to find out if the Chinese orchestra has informed us (the Symphony Orchestra) that they would be using the double basses this afternoon. She replied she was not informed. Yet, it was no surprise that the Chinese orchestra could have taken the double basses. Who else?

In actually fact, the double basses are assets under the Symphony Orchestra. Yet, I wonder if it was due to misinformation, it seems that the folks in the Chinese orchestra perceived that the double basses were shared between Symphony Orchestra, the Chinese orchestra and other musical groups under the same cultural organisation. I just wished that the folks in the Chinese orchestra could have at least kept us informed of the exact dates, and the exact number of double basses that they would need. Then, at least in the event that we have rehearsals on the same time, we could have come up with suitable contingency plans to ensure that the Symphony Orchestra has enough number of double basses. This afternoon, I had only a response time of last than half an hour before the rehearsals to try to find enough double basses!

How frustrating! Whatever it was, I had to remain calm to respond more appropriately.

I happened to have the phone number of one of the double bassists from the Chinese orchestra, so I called him on the phone. Yes, I was right, the Chinese orchestra had taken six of the double basses. I was informed that the Chinese orchestra has a rehearsal starting from 2 p.m. too!

I felt my patience was tested, but out of good-will, I tried to be nice. I decided not to spend too much time arguing over who was right or wrong. The Chinese orchestra will be having its public concert next Sunday, and that was a fact. My main objective was just to find enough double basses for this afternoon's rehearsals.

Mustering all the patience that had remained, I asked the double bassist from the Chinese orchestra if all the six double bassists from the Chinese orchestra would come for their rehearsal this afternoon. I had to be frank that we should have at least four players. He told me he had five confirmed players for the rehearsal this afternoon. In my mind, I reckon that this would mean I could outrightly ask to have one of the double basses. Afterall, they took six double basses but had only one confirmed players, at least for today. That meant one spare double bass. Luckily, the double bassists from the Chinese orchestra had been gentlemanly to agree to my request. If not, I do not know what advocacy skills I would have employed just to lay my hands on that sixth double bass.

One more double bass found. The next problem was the transport. In order to get that particular spare double bass from the Chinese orchestra, we would have to travel to the cultural centre which was quite a fair distance from our orchestra's rehearsal venue. If I had chosen to walk there and to walk back, it would have taken me more than half an hour and a lot of energy. Thank goodness that RX was smart enough to suggest that YH might be able to help since she was driving today.

YH's very nice, she agreed. YH had a double bass in her car, the one that she had loaned some months ago and that she wanted to return today. I helped her to put that double bass to the stage of our rehearsal venue, then YH and myself proceeded to the cultural centre to get that double bass from the Chinese orchestra.

The carpark of the cultural centre was under renovation, and I was not familiar with the way to drive in to the backstage without bypassing that carpark. The backstage was where the double bass was kept. RX called, and we asked for directions to get there. Eventually, we were there. The double bassist from the Chinese orchestra whom I had spoke to earlier over the phone was nice enough to tell me which was the right double bass to take. We took it and a cello (upon RX's request), and then hurried back on YH's car for the Symphony Orchestra's rehearsals.

Prior to that, I had spoken to my stand partner over the phone to tell her what was going on, and asked if she could help with the setting up over at the rehearsal venue. I could trust her with that, so one worry is down.

So by about 2.20 p.m., I reached the rehearsal venue with YH. We had three double basses which are in reasonable working order to rehearse. Thank goodness that YH was around. She was not here to rehearse, she was merely here to return the double bass. I was grateful that she took time to help with the transportation. Also, thank goodness RX was patient enough to respond to my calls for assistance. I tend to get demanding at times.

Earlier, before I left with YH for the cultural centre, I had called one of our orchestra's double bassists too and asked if he could get hold of a double bass from the hall of residence that he was staying in. He said he would try to ask. It was only much later (after 3 p.m) that I got a message from him to inform me that he did not manage to get hold of another double bass. At the same time, he had to be quite late for rehearsals today, so he informed that he would have to give the rehearsal a miss.

So we did have enough double basses for all the three double bassists (including myself) who had turned up for today's rehearsal. I keep my fingers crossed that I do not have to be tested with another similar adverse situation again.

This is a strange thought, but I feel I have been getting quite a fair bit of tests from life itself lately. Tests that test my patience. I would have rather do without. To console myself, I shall think that these tests are meant to help make me stronger, more resilient, and wiser. Anyway, one test down today. I had managed to survive from the test with the help of folks like RX, YH, my stand partner etc. Thank goodness.

5 comments:

mistipurple said...

you deal with adversity well. i could have bitten off a few heads in similar situation.

Emy said...

hi!!!

u can thank mi too!...

for the fun laughter peace n joy... =)

emz

oceanskies79 said...

ok, thanks Emily....

Goat Almighty said...

i would have eaten the double bass if i were you. sounds like a tough day. i hope you're feeling better.

ruoxin said...

wah.....i got tested the whole year.. hahas...and after i step down.. or may be theres just sth wrong with me. *shrugs* thats what my hpS are for... and theres y sunday's rehearsal has been cancelled.. well..thou not the full reason.