Tuesday, November 01, 2005

A shop newly opened

About slightly more than a week ago, I was the Esplanade Mall and I realised that this shop named Frank Brothers Violins has been opened.

I went in to check if there were any double bass related items there. There was none. The shop's personnel politely told me that the shop has just opened and might be more euipped with more items the following week. Then I was asked to write my contact details and my request down. The shop personnel were probably Thais, and it took me a while to understand them in English. But I could not deny that they have been courteous, attentive and friendly.

Soon enough, someone from the shop called me a week later to inform me that the shop has a double bass bow available. When I was there, I saw an intermediate level double bass bow. It felt alright, and looked fine. But I had no idea how it would feel when I use it to bow across the strings of the double bass. So I asked if I could pay for the bow, test it out, and if I felt it did not suit me, I could exchange for another one. Quite unexpectedly, the shop personnel agreed without hesitation. That in some way assured me to purchase the bow without too much hesitation. I needed a double bass bow in case I have to return the one that was loaned to me.

The shop was very new and did not have packing boxes of the right size to pack the double bass bow in. The shop personnel, likely the manager, was so thoughtful to lend me one of the double bass bow cases without question asked. I was thinking, what makes him such a trusting person? I am reliable, but I don't know about some others. But it was good service, because I would have rather carried the double bass bow home safely in a bow-case than to just have it carried home wrapped in mere paper packaging. It was safer.

Casually, I told him I have a few of those same kind of bow-cases at home but had trouble finding someone to repair the zips of the bow-cases for me when the zips went faulty with long period of use. He then told me that he might know of someone in Thailand who might be able to help in that, and offered to help. That was good news. It was certainly more environmental-friendly if I were to repair the zip and could use the bow-case again than to throw those bow-cases and buy new ones.

Hopefully, shops like this which operates on the foundation of good-will and good service will be here to stay for good.

For now, I am still taking time to try out on the new bow. It has a much darker sound compared to the one that I used (but is on loan to me). I wonder if it was because of the rosin I have put on it, or if it was because it was not seasoned. Time will tell, I hope.

3 comments:

mistipurple said...

they do sound nice. i wish them the best. it's not easy at all being nice here. perhaps they are thais and that's their natural demeanour. i hope people will treat them equally well. (i hope i have had the privilege of working with nice people.)

oceanskies79 said...

Oh...I was a little worried that they may meet people who aren't so nice.

But perhaps if everyone were to practise being nice irregardless of how others may be, maybe the world will become nicer with time.

Some may have met too bad folks on their way, and gave up being nice. =(

mistipurple said...

it may be more so a question of how long people can be nice before they are eaten up by bad people. sigh.