Saturday, January 08, 2005

Effects of being tired

After the rehearsal last night, me and my section mates had a light supper at the Cheese Prata shop nearby the university campus. After that, did we left for home. When I got home, it was close to midnight. Having too much music as a stimulant to my brain, I figured it was not easy to fall asleep after having a hot shower. It was no surprise I had spent about half an hour trying to write a post on my blog. I think it was close to 1 a.m. when I actually turned in to bed.

Quite a lethargic day. Even when I woke up in the morning, there was still a sense of tiredness in the mind and body. I had wanted to go to the Singapore Art Museum in the late morning, but the plan was postponed because of this overall sense of tiredness.

In the early afternoon, I met up with one of my good friends. For the information of the regular readers of this blog, this friend is the co-contributor of my other blog "Places". She shall be referred to as "Mystic". Mystic had went to Melbourne around the Christmas season, so this was our first meeting after her trip. I was pleased to meet up with her. I supposed she was too, for she gave me a nice hug first thing when she saw me this afternoon. But blame it on my tiredness, I reciprocated her sincere expression of friendship with an indifferent sounding "ok", when she told me she was happy to see me. I wonder if Mystic had thought that she had a robotic person for a friend after hearing my response?

Even while we were travelling from places to places, my eyes were tearing at several occasions because I was rather tired. I think it did not help that it was raining outdoors, and I could not go outdoors with ease to take photographs of the scenery outdoors.

I am thankful that I could muster some attentiveness to lend my ears when Mystic updated me of how her life have been. I guess that was the least I could do for a friend when the shadow of tiredness is lurking in me?

After I parted with Mystic for the day, I went to catch a concert at the Esplanade Concert Hall. The Singapore Symphony Orchestra played Pachelbel's Canon in D before the start of the programme, and dedicated it to the victims of the recent tsunami and those who have lended their hands in the disaster. Maybe Mystic might like the Pachelbel's Canon in D. Anyway, it was quite a solemn beginning for the concert, considering that the orchestra was celebrating its 26th anniversary tonight.

It must have been the effects of being tired, I was in a half awake mode during certain passages of the first half of the concert. The violin soloist, I felt while commendable, did not had the quality of sound that I would have preferred when she played the Butterfly Lovers Concerto. Take it as a personal taste. I preferred her playing of Bizet-Sarasate's Carmen Fantasie. My tiredness got worse during the second half of the concert. I was practically just passively listening to the music in a half-asleep mode. Only towards the end of the concert, did the music managed to catch my attention to put me back to a more awakened mode.

The irony is that even when I am quite tired right now as I write this post (my eyes are tearing to indicate how tired I am), I was too tired to stop myself from writing this post. I was too tired to even bother to coax myself to bed. Maybe I shall take the hint now, and allow myself to go to have a good night rest. Good night.



Edit: By the way, it must be my ears. The orchestra did not play Pachelbel. It actually played J.S. Bach's Air on the G string. Maybe I had heard too much of Pachelbel's Canon in D when I was with Mystic, shopping for CDs containing this work? Anyway, it must be my tired ears.

No comments: