Wednesday, January 12, 2005

A precious afternoon break

This afternoon, I took time-off from work. To ensure the professional staff do not get burned out, we are allowed to claim time-off for the extra hours we work after office hours for the office's regular night duties and for seeing our clients. At the same time, I would need to qualify to my readers that the people in my office will not be allowed to claim time-off for administrative duties like working on paper work. The time-off is strictly for seeing and attending to clients face-to-face, and for the night duties we each have to do once a fornight.

This afternoon's break is rather precious. It will be my only free afternoon away from work and rehearsals for the entire week. Ah! Precious time for myself!

Most weekday afternoons this week have been and will be spent at the workplace. Yes, except today's. Last night and the night before, I was working in the office. If you think I could claim time-off, I couldn't, because my clients who were supposed to turn up did not do so at the last minute. I ended up doing paper work the two evenings. Starting tomorrow, there will be rehearsals everyday until the Yellow River Cantata performance comes to a close. So I must say, even this evening is rather precious, that I could rest and relax at home. Phew.

This Saturday afternoon, my workplace will be holding a funfair cum family day, to help residents of the district get more acquainted with our services. All staff of the centre will have to be there. I am just glad that I need not have to be the in-charge for the game stalls nor the food stalls. My role for this coming Saturday is to take photographs. At least this is something I would not consider a chore. Now I just hope that I could rush to the rehearsal venue in time after the funfair. Yes, there is still rehearsal on Saturday evening.

Coming Sunday afternoon, I will be rehearsing at the Esplanade Concert Hall. I have yet to play there, so I am quite eager to find out how my playing would sound in that hall. I was forewarned that the hall is not a friendly hall to play in for the musicians. It is considered more audience friendly, for the audience gets a hear each and every sound that is produced on the stage rather clearly. Hopefully, the rehearsal in the hall would help us adjust to the acoustics of the hall and make the most out of it. Then on Sunday evening, I will play the Yellow River Cantata with the rest of my orchestra-mates, to accompany the choir. I quite look forward to it.

For now, I shall just enjoy my precious evening.

No comments: