Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Shopping for clothes is more a task than a pleasure

I claimed time-off this afternoon.

Trying to please my mother who has been urging me to buy pants and clothes for the Chinese New Year, I went to Junction 8 (a shopping complex). During the Chinese New Year, one is expected to wear new clothes.

I could appreciate this custom if I were living in the long past whereby many people would only buy new clothes once a year. Now, at this part of the world where we are living in, we could be quite affluent and it is quite common for many to buy new clothes every month.

Anyway, I made a point to glance into almost every shop in the shopping complex, and made the effort to go into almost every shop that sells pants and/ or clothes. A pity, nothing seems to have caught my fancy. So I ended up empty-handed, which I won't be surprised.

Where shopping is concerned, I won't mind shopping for books, stationery or gifts if there wasn't a crowd. However, I do find it not quite a pleasure to shop for clothes. For one thing, I do not like the crowd that often presents itself at most of the shops that sells clothes. I don't quite like the music of many of the stores. Some music can turn me off the moment that I step into the store. More importantly, if I had the time, I would rather spend my time doing other things rather than shopping for clothes. So in the end, the act of shopping for clothes has only functional purposes to serve than recreational purposes.

I just wonder why many people finds it a pleasure to shop for clothes. This is something I could not fully appreciate.

Well, I try to cope by imagining that I am in a museum viewing exhibits, and trying to appreciate the colours and texture of the clothes. That helps a bit.

No comments: