Sunday, May 18, 2008

Concert on 17 May 2008



I was resting most of yesterday in the hope to feel better from a flu. In the evening, I took a sneak to catch the Singapore Symphony Orchestra's concert, Masterful Mendelssohn, with one of my friends, Mystic. I am glad that I did. It was a concert worth listening.

Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor is one concerto that I like. The soloist, Daniel Hope, has generally done a fairly well rendition of the concerto, albeit I love his encore more! The encore, which I still could not make out its title, was played with a beautiful, moving sound that rang the entire concet hall. He would do a wonderful rendition of Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto if he had been a little more relaxed with his use of the right hand so as to produce similar beautiful sound that was produced for the encore. His spiccato could be a little more clearer and his rendition would be perfect. I think maybe he could play short bows for his practices for a start instead of spiccato, and only practise using the spiccato strokes after he could achieve a clearer and articulated sound using short bow strokes on the strings.

The orchestra has a good rendition of Sibelius' Symphony No. 1. Mystic likes it too. The conductor, Ari Rasilainen, knows the symphony very well and he did a good job in leading the orchestra to interpret this symphony in a disciplined yet spontaneous way.

Thanks to Mystic for her company.

***
On the side, my double bass is finally back from repair. Basically, the sound-post was changed as the previous one was too short for optimal performance. I am quite pleased with the fact that my instrument is more responsive after the repair, and more pleasantly delighted that it is now more easy to play at the higher positions as compared to before.

If you have a strings instrument that needs repair or maintenance, do consider Le Diapason. The charges are reasonable for the quality of work that is given.

No comments: