Saturday, June 21, 2008

Week 25 of year 2008 on the double bass

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

15 Jun 2008, Sun: I practised one sight-reading exercise. This was followed by practising selected passages from the first and second movement of Dittersdorf's Second Concerto for the Double Bass.

Inspirations may be needed. I felt I needed to work more to be moved by the music that I have played. In hope to listen to how others play this concerto, I listened to a video on YouTube.

18 Jun 2008, Wed: The orchestra rehearsal started by rehearsing Smetana's The Moldau. I had played this work several years ago. It was heartwarming to realise that my standard of playing has improved, allowing me to play this work with greater ease and competence.

We also rehearsed Rossini's The Thieving Magpie Overture and "The Barber of Seville" Overture.

Prior to the rehearsal, I took some time to rehearse Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto.

19 Jun 2008, Thu: During double bass lesson, I worked on the first and second movements from Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto. My tutor corrected a few of my rhythmic and tempo mistakes. Now, more practice from my end.

20 Jun 2008, Fri: I seem to be in the mood to practise on the double bass. I spent more than an hour practising the first movement of Capuzzi's Concerto in F major and selected passages from the first and second movements from Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto. I wish I could achieve a warmer, brighter and more resonating tone on the double bass.

21 Jun 2008, Sat: I was feeling tired after a day out. Anyway, there was sufficient motivation to practise on the double bass. I did a sight-read of one of Bach's works, and spent the remaining time reading Rachmaninov's Vocalise. My double bass proved to be easier to play on after the recent repair last month, but I still have yet to achieve the desired tone using it.

**
This has been a blue week for me. I am thankful that playing the double bass has brought me some moments of relief.

No comments: