Thursday, April 28, 2011

The beautiful spaces of Old Kallang Airprt

This path to the Old Kallang Airport has brought me fond memories. When I was a student, I had the opportunity to perform at the nearby Kallang Theatre and this was the path that I had to take from the Kallang MRT station to Kallang Theatre if I do not wish to take a bus.


Thanks to the Singapore Biennale 2011, I have a great reason to visit the Old Kallang Airport. This Singapore Biennale 2011 venue was the former headquarters of People's Association. I learnt that this very location was the site of Singapore's first civil airport, opening in 1937. It was described as the finest airport in the British Empire in those days until it was replaced by a new airport at Paya Lebar.

Did you know that this very site was built on reclaimed swampland? Before the reclamation, the very location was swampland along the Kallang River. I suppose reclamation is one important technology that has greatly changed the physical environment of the main island of Singapore over history.



Even though there is limited air-conditioning facilities at the Old Kallang Airport, I have found this Singapore Biennale 2011 venue to be a beautiful space with a nostalgic feel to it. In this post, I shall share some of the photos that I have taken at this site. Please feel free to share your comments about the photos and the Old Kallang airport.



I was very attracted to what remains of the airport hangar.




I appreciate the fact that Toast Box has set up an outlet at this Singapore Biennale 2011 venue.  The best place for refreshment at the Old Kallang Airport!

I find the corridors of this block at the Old Kallang Airport to remind me of my days as a student. 

The windows reminded me of the windows at one of my former schools. I like its nostalgic design.

I think it is possibly beautiful to catch a glimpse of sunset from this place.
I suppose some may have memories working in one of these buildings when this place was formerly the headquarters of People's Association.


I cannot help but like the Old Kallang Airport. Don't you feel that life has slowed down to a satisfying pace there?

*****
Old Kallang Airport

9 Stadium Link
Singapore 397750
(Former People's Association headquarters)
enter via Geylang Road

No comments: