Wednesday, August 01, 2012

21 May 2012: A treat to Flour and Stone

21 May 2012 (Mon):

This was the day that I was looking forward to because I will be meeting two of my good friends and their family members that day.

My initial plan was to visit Pancakes on the Rocks for breakfast. However, I decided to schedule it to another day. I decided to have breakfast at Joe Black near the Travelodge Sydney hotel that I was staying in. The bacon and egg brecky sambo was delicious and gave a good start to my day. While I was waiting for my breakfast to be served, I was studied the train schedules to Pymble station. I was to meet one of my friends, FH, there. Studying the train schedule was one way to ensure that I will be punctual for the meet-up.

Flour and Stone. Woolloomooloo, Sydney.

After breakfast, I thought that it will be a great idea to buy some cakes or pastries for my friend, FH, to share for tea. The place that came to my mind was Flour and Stone. This is a place for "baked goodness" as described by Nadine Ingram, the patissier who opened Four and Stone in Woolloomoolooo. Flour and Stone came to my attention when I was browsing Time Out Sydney's review of Sydney's best breakfast.


This is the place for breakfast if you like homely cakes and pastries. I ordered a slice of the lemon drizzle cake and was raving at the back of my mind how delicious it was. It was tangy and sweet. As I savoured the slice of lemon drizzle cake that I had ordered, I was glancing at one of the quotations on the menu. It stated "Baked for love, life and happiness". Flour and Stone offers one of the best lemon drizzle cakes that I have ever tasted thus far. While the looks of the cakes are not too fancy, I love their homely looks. The cakes taste wonderful.

I decided to order another slice of the lemon drizzle cake, a slice of hazelnut tart and a gingerbread to share with my friend for tea. The attentive people at Flour and Stone helped me to pack my orders in a box.

Our tea-time treats. On the right, the orders from Flour and Stone.

The hazelnut torte is yet another treat from Flour and Stone to rave about. When my friend and I shared it during tea later that day, I was extremely delight by the crunchy bits of hazelnuts in the hazelnut torte. The taste of hazelnut was intense in the hazelnut cream on the tart. Yet, it was not too sweet. The taste was well-balanced. This is yet again one of the best hazelnut tortes that I have tasted so far. To a lover of hazelnut, it was simply heavenly. Each slice costs AUD$5, if I remember correctly.

Many thanks to the friendly and helpful people at Flour and Stone for the wonderful cakes and baked goodness. I can feel the love, life and happiness in every bite of the baked goodness from Flour and Stone.


I strongly recommend Flour and Stone to all cake-lovers.


The front of Flour and Stone.

***
Flour and Stone
53 Riley Street, Woolloomooloo, Sydney, NSW 2011
Tel: +61-2-8068-8818
http://flourandstone.com.au/index.html

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday: 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Nearest train stations: St James, Museum.

***
Also see the following reviews:
Flour and Stone, Woolloomooloo by Not Quite Nigella
Flour and Stone: Bakery, Woolloomooloo (15 Nov 2011, 11 Jan 2012) by Simon Leong
Flour and Stone, Woolloomooloo by A of Sydney Lunch Box
Meet the patissiere - Nadine Ingram from Flour and Stone
Time Out Sydney's review of Flour and Stone
Urban Spoon's reviews.

***
Also visit: Sydney, May 2012: A time to heal and to be inspired

2 comments:

Ian said...

ooooo. seems like it has the local flavour and appeal!

oceanskies79 said...

Yes, it does, Ian.