Sunday, July 17, 2005

The folks are getting anxious?

After today's rehearsals, I had dinner nearby Holland Village before making my way to my maternal grandmother's place. I had decided to visit her since I was nearby her place. I reckon I might be too busy for the next few weeks to be able to visit her before I go for my trip to Aberdeen, Scotland.

When I was there, I took time to have a conversation with my grandmother. During the conversation, she asked if I have a boyfriend. Well, if she meant the one I always hug at the orchestra rehearsals (the double bass), then I would say "Yes". Unfortunately, she was not referring to that one.

Then when I went home and informed my mom that I would not be at home this coming Saturday because I had to attend an ex-colleague's wedding dinner, she asked if I have a boyfriend.

I also remember that earlier this year, my dad placed an advertisement of one of those match-making agencies on my PC workstation. What a hint.

I wonder if the folks are getting anxious? I am not though.

Sometimes I think it might be nice to have a companion to care for and to love. It might be nice to also have someone who would accept and love me for whom I am. At the same time, I shall believe that love comes when one does not force it to happen. I am happily single, and happily married to the double bass for the moment.

So to the folks: Please just let things come naturally.

I think I am a feminist. I believe females are as capable and deserving of opportunities as males. I guess I will not like the traditional males who think that females should be the ones in charge of domestic affairs. Anyway, I guess I will not be attractive to these males. For those who know me, I do not care much about domestic affairs. I often find it a chore to clean my room. So I don't and I allow my room to be cleaned without much of my interference (except an occassional attempt to tidy things up in my room). Sometimes, I think I do not fall well into what constitutes feminine in terms of my general lifestyle and preferences.

So the above paragraph is to put a "No" sign on me so that I won't attract males who insist on finding a girlfriend who can take care of the domestic affairs in the household. Forget me, I don't. In fact, a super ideal boyfriend should be one who is willing to take care of those domestic affairs for me.

Question: What can I do as a girlfriend?

Well, I can play the double bass. I can sketch. I can be a fairly good companion going to museums with. I can listen fairly well. I can write encouraging words. I can carry my own double bass on my own, so prospective boyfriend need not worry about having to carry the double bass for me. I have good sense of direction, so I don't really need someone to send me home. I can get home without losing my way.

So the point is that unless one can accomodate my love for the double bass and whatever else that is part of me, my apologies that reciprocity from me would not be present at all.

In retrospect, I think I might have disappoint a few people. I am sorry if I did. But I will disappoint them anyway. I can't please everyone, so at least I have please myself by being true to myself.

Please tell the folks to take things easy. *winks*

5 comments:

mistipurple said...

i am as single as can be. i do not think i would have made it if i had married. i am too simple to the point that others would think i am highly complex. (i shall not go into that!) *wink*

pinkie said...

Yeah, just let things come naturally...

Misti, sometimes people like to read too much into things?

goldilocks said...

hey PY, you're not alone. my parents are doing the same thing to me... except that when i really cannot tahan the nudge or hints, i'd mention that they were against my dating in jc. haha... horrible daughter...

T.K. Chapman said...

I'm single too. I know people mean well when they say things but it can be annoying. Makes you feel like some kind of social outcast or something just because you're single.

小芬 said...

my boyfriend then don't help with household as his mum takes care of everything - she's a full-time housewife.

he became my husband and i'm glad that he help out at home with sweeping and mopping which i hate.
sometimes laundry also taken care by him. haha.

oceanskies, it is possible to find a guy who would share everything with you.