Saturday, July 30, 2005

Walking in the rain

Today, I was walking in the rain, with an umbrella.

I started the day packing my luggage. I am slightly more than half-way to completion.

It started pouring in the late morning. I was out of my home trying to get those stickers that has the word FRAGILE on it. I wanted to paste it on my luggage. I must have been wanting the airport staff to be extremely cautious with my luggage and double bass bow case (in which I will keep the double bass bow).

***
Airport security would probably be very tight. I was told that the violins, violas, double bass bow and etc have to be placed inside a special safety container, and cannot be brought up the plane as hand-carry. Hmmmm, I don't feel safe to have my double bass bow handled in this way. Actually this double bass bow does not even belong to me, it belongs to the orchestra, but I take good care of it as if it is mine.

***
I went round to check out for the sticker and to have my lunch (an early one), walking in the pouring rain with an umbrella. Sigh, I did not manage to find a shop that sells the sticker. I went to the post-office in my neighbourhood but it does not sell the sticker. It used to, but not after it was renovated.

Then I went back home to take a short rest. In the mid-afternoon, I left my home to see the dentist. A regular checkup. Weren't we told that we are suppose to see the dentist once every six months? I try my best to follow this guide diligently. Maybe that is how I keep a nice smile?

After which, I took public transport and headed for Waterloo Street. My mother had wanted me to go to one of the Chinese temples there to pray for safety. I could have choosen not to, but I guess doing so may help her feel less worried about my trip to the United Kingdom, so I did. Anyway, I had to go to Bras Basah Complex, which is nearby Waterloo Street, so it just probably took up only about an extra 15 minutes of my time to make the trip there. I learnt from Jing's dad (when he gave me a lift to the West of Singapore when he actually needed to head South towards the town area) that sometimes making a detour to a place not within one's initial plans may help brighten the day of another person.

From the temple, that was when I started out on my walking trip. I walked towards Bras Basah Complex which took about ten minutes to travel on foot. It was drizzling so I walked carrying an umbrella. Next to Bras Basah Complex is the newly opened National Library. I did not enter the new library. I reckon I could do so another day. I spent quite some time at the Bras Basah Complex. It was nice to be dry. When I left Bras Basah Complex, I have made a discovery. The Mac Donalds fast-food restaurant that is situated next to Bras Basah Complex is now opened 24 hours! I did not walk into the fast-food restaurant to verify the information, but I shall trust the banner that was put up outside the fast-food restaurant.

I walked on foot towards the Singapore Art Museum, and then passed by Plaza-by-the-Park before I reached Plaza Singapura, a shopping complex that took about 30 minutes on foot from Bras Basah Complex, in the rain. I am amazed that the wet weather had not deterred me from walking. I needed a walk. Even if it was in the rain.

I spent quite a fair bit of time at Plaza Singapura trying to shop for items that I would need for my trip to the United Kingdom. It was tiring to walk on a rainy day. I would rather go home and practise. In fact, I made it a point to leave the shopping complex before 7 p.m. so that I could have enough time to practise. Self-discipline helps one find time for practice, I suppose?

Rainy days do get me down a little. However, I am pleased to say I am feeling better now than yesterday.

2 comments:

goldilocks said...

hi PY, great to see that you're feeling better.

bon voyage tomorrow!

mistipurple said...

and.. i will miss ya till ya're back! and yes, i wish you a good time there too!
i hope you can get the 'fragile' stickies at the airport, their check-in counters.