Saturday, July 30, 2005

Brahms' Symphonies

Right now, I am listening to Brahms' Symphonies. Performed by Berliner Philharmoniker, conducted by Herbert Von Karajan. This album contains all four of Brahms' Symphonies. I love the symphonies of Brahms.

At one point of time, I love his symphonies so much that I went to read about Brahms and his life. Back then, I thought to myself, if Brahms were alive, and I would love to be his friend. I think he can be a very faithful and loyal friend, even though he may get caustic in his remarks. But I suppose he won't bear to hurt the fragile yours truly.

A week ago, our orchestra went through the Brahms' Symphony No. 2. That was my first time playing the Second Symphony. I was practically sight-reading. On 12 Aug 2005, we are due to play the Second Symphony with the rest of the members from other orchestras participating in the Aberdeen International Youth Festival's Gala Concert Festival Orchestra performance. That would be the work that we would be rehearsing intensively when we are in Aberdeen.

I keep my fingers crossed that all would go well. I am feeling a little insecured that QH, one of the double bassists, won't be playing for the Gala Concert. I guess part of me still hopes to have a more seasoned and reliable player to count on. I shall not dwell on the insecurities. What seems more effective is for myself to practise well for the Second Symphony and help guide the rest of the double bass section to be proficient enough to play this Second Symphony.

It helps to get some recommended bowings and fingerings for the Brahms' Second Symphony. Good thing that I have an original copy of The Complete Double Bass Parts Orchestral Works of Brahms edited and published by Oscar G. Zimmerman. I think I shall use that copy to help me in my individual practice of the Brahms' Second Symphony. Now, I am thankful it was a Brahms' symphony that the organiser wanted us to play. I don't have the complete double bass parts for the orchestral works of other composers.

I shall look forward to play Brahms' in Aberdeen, although part of me feels a sense of apprehension and uncertainty. Brahms' Second Symphony is relatively difficult.

1 comment:

mistipurple said...

don't worry too much, just do your practice, and normally things will turn out better than expected! :)