Tuesday, July 05, 2005

A long day

A long work day today too. I was scheduled for night duty, and I was scheduled to work from 8.45 a.m. till 9.05 p.m. tonight. I only left the office at 9.25 p.m.

In the morning, I was sitting at my desk all focused on doing administrative stuff. I gave up on asking the administrative assistant for help. Probably due to her own workload at this time of the year, she said she had no time to help me count the records.

Well, I was tasked to oversee the project of putting up a series of data to a central database. My goodness, the records are filed in such different manner for last year and this year that it was impossible for me to automatically merge them together. I could only slowly go through each and every record to categorise them according before I could even start counting the total of number of records at hand. I had yet to reach the stage of counting the records, but I figured that the categorisation of the records would be necessary to prepare for data-entry at the later stage. There is a dateline to finishing this project, so I could only hope time would be on my side.

I keep my fingers crossed that the project would complete smoothly.

The afternoon was a more hectic one. My meetings with my client were almost back-to-back until dinner time. I was hardly able to be my desk in the afternoon.

I could only be pleased that I had manage to finish writing a number of case recordings by the end of the work day. The quiet morning and the ability to finish writing the case recordings were possible because my clients who were suppose to come in the morning and evening did not turn up. Probably these are blessings in disguise? Though I would prefer my clients turn up as scheduled. My clients scheduled to see me this morning did not even contact me to reschedule appointments, so I could only presume that they had emergency matters to attend to.

After I left office at the night, I headed to attend one of my late client's wake about several bus-stops away from my office. He passed away some time ago. The news of his death was not an expected one. I saw his wife and daughter at the wake and sent them my condolences. I think my client had been a strong and resilient man, and a loving father, even though might have showed his love in a more subtle way. I think he shall be missed.

Right now, I am typing away. After posting this entry, I shall browse through the information on the London hotels that the tour agent has to offer. I hope I would find a satisfactory and affordable hotel near my preferred location (somewhere near the British Museum). Meantime, good night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Visit Belgium instead, I'll show you the best places. Promise.

Culture: I got it.
Clubs: I got it.
Beach: right here.
Architecture: I got it.
Restaurants: hey, I got it.

mistipurple said...

py, your job sounds emotionally draining. maybe that is also why you feel overwhelmed at times. very kind of you to pay your respects at your client's. sometimes i wonder how doctors cope too.

and belgium..sounds inviting huh, py! :)

pinkie said...

nice to go on a holiday :)

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Kunstemaecker, thanks for the offer. Maybe the next time when I visit Europe, I would visit Belgium? I would not quite like to rush myself from countries to countries within a short span of time. I would have been tired after participating in the Aberdeen International Youth Festival.

Thank you nevertheless. I know Belgium will be a great place with you around.