Friday, September 29, 2006

Ready to discover more of Singapore


It has delighted me that I have managed to get myself a copy of the Singapore: The Encyclopedia today. According to sources, this encyclopedia is the most comprehensive reference on Singapore to date.

I reckon that this encyclopedia would help me gain a better understanding of this country that I call my homeland. I suppose it would also serve as a good source of reference for me when I want to find out about the various places that I have been to in Singapore.

Special thanks to toycon who has helped with the purchase.

Toycon happens to have posted several interesting trivia that are found in Singapore: The Encyclopedia. Here are some of these:
...the first person to put Tamil on the internet
...the Sultan Mosque was designed by an Irishman
...Metro is named after Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer(MGM)
...coconut oil was once used to light street lamps in Singapore

For those who are keen to purchase this encyclopedia online, I have managed to find the link to its publisher's website (Search under "Encyclopedia & Reference"): http://www.edmbooks.com/FS_bookstore.htm
(I think this encyclopedia is also available from major local bookstores.)

I don't know if you would find this encyclopedia worth buying, but I dare say that I believe it will be one of the best reference books that I have invested in for the year 2006. It will bring much delight to be able to gain more insights to my own country.

Thanks to those who have made this encyclopedia possible. I suppose there must have been a lot of good work put into this.

1 comment:

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Simple American, I am not too sure if you can find this encyclopedia over in US. But if you do, do let me know.