Monday, September 25, 2006

On Medical Leave

At the verge of losing my voice. It is now hoarse and husky. I just simply don't feel like talking because the throat is hurting. There's a lot of work waiting to be worked upon, but my body is telling me that I must rest. It is protesting with mild fever, blocked nose, running nose, inflamed throat, general lethargy and a mind that feels heavy. As such, I have to take medical leave from work for today. The doctor gave me antibiotics and a few other medication.

It is a hazard, however, to be at home on a weekday. The construction site nearby my block makes more noises on a weekday than on a weekend. What is more, I can hear the noises of drilling from units above me. It did not help that there is also a lift-upgrading works at my block and that means more NOISES from the hacking and drilling.

A pair of sensitive ears can be a blessing to someone who plays music. Then again, it means one must protect oneself from the noises of the world out there. Maybe I should ask for ear-plugs for presents? But I do have quite some ear-plugs with me at most times. Though admittedly, using ear-plugs may not solve the problem, because I can feel the vibrations of the noise. I would have to live in a vacuum in order not to feel the vibrations of the noise.

I guess I shall play some music that I like so as to distract myself from the noises. Wish me health and a speedy recovery please.

4 comments:

mistipurple said...

i sympathize with your problem. i really wish you could have an 'escape place' to run to. think about giving tuition or something, so that you can subsidize a room somewhere in an exclusive place? it has to be exclusive because everywhere else is going to be noisy, by your level of tolerance.

if not for the drilling, i would also recommend having your own music on. that might help. adjust your own music just a little louder, above those noises.

oceanskies79 said...

SA: I have tried. I manage to catch about 1.5 hr of rest earlier.

Misti: Thanks for being around.
Where can I find an exclusive place in Singapore?

I miss Aberdeen. It is so quiet there that the only noise that I can complain about is the singing of the seagulls.

mistipurple said...

there are some apartments. i've been to a few. and since you are someone who is able to walk a bit, a 10-15 mins walk to the main road will pose no problem for you. condos and private houses have alot of these quiet spots. in my job, i sometimes need to meet clients and assess 'you know what i assess' (or perhaps not, but never mind), so i have been to quite a number of quiet places. a budget of $380 to $600 is expected for a room. and may i add, this comment is starting to sound sleazy. lol!

mistipurple said...

i think i should add, i am sure some hdb flats have very quiet environment too. perhaps i need to check around a bit for you.