Sunday, July 01, 2007

An evening at Singapore Art Museum: 16th century French Chansons



Last evening, I have had the pleasure to have Emily's company to listen to 16th Century French Chansons performed by Ab Oriente. I am quite impressed by the kind of research that Ab Oriente has done to come up with the programme notes. I felt that the programme notes not only gave me insights to the works that were performed, but they also gave me insights to the historical context in which those works were being written.

Sadly, I realised this afternoon that I had lost my programme notes. I shall learn to do without it.

Anyway, the programme for last night's performance of 16th Century French Chansons can be found here: http://www.ab-oriente.com/cct_070630_FC_programme.htm



When I was in the auditorium of the Singapore Art Museum, I could not help but notice the air vents up in the ceiling. Look at the photo right below, can you see that to the top-left of the chandelier, there is this protruding object with holes in it. If my memory is correct, this object forms part of the building's air-ventilation system. In those days when the air-conditioner was not even invented, the air-ventilation system helped to keep the air in the building circulated and cooler.




I have a love for melancholic music last night, and my favourite item from the programme was Josquin des Prez's Mille regrets. If only I had been more careful not to lose my copy of the programme notes, I would have printed the English translation of the lyrics here.


Photo taken by Emily.


By the way, Ab Oriente has an upcoming performance Musica Transalpina selections held at the Concourse, Esplanade - Theatres on the Bay, on 9th & 10th July 2007, Monday & Tuesday, 7:15 - 7:45 p.m. and 8:15 - 8:45 p.m.

Last but not the least, you may read Emily's account of the performance and her visit to the Singapore Art Museum here: 16th century French Chansons

The Singapore Art Museum's auditorium is a lovely place with an intimate setting. I hope that one day, I would get an invitation to perform there.

1 comment:

Simple American said...

Maybe if you email the museum they can send you a copy of the program notes. :)