Saturday, July 14, 2007

Week 28 of year 2007 on the double bass

New post at:


**
8 Jul 2007, Sun: I practised selected passages from Keyper's Romance and Rondo and Faure's Sicilienne. I think I shall have to set aside time to practise sight-reading and scales.

9 Jul 2007, Mon: I spent about 30 minutes playing a few studies from Bottesini's 24 Exercises for Double Bass, edited by H Samuel Sterling.

Practice today felt awkward because the bow that I had purchased two months ago had bow hairs that felt too sticky from the rosin that had melted on it. Anyway, I am glad that I had time to work on a few studies to improve my general pitching.

11 Jul 2007, Wed: It's the day of orchestra rehearsal. I was the only double bassist who had attended the rehearsal. It just felt quite lonely playing the double bass in the orchestra alone. I may have preferred to play solo instead.

For the rehearsal, the orchestra sight-read Bizet's Carmen Suite No. 1 and selected passages from Bizet's Carmen Suite No. 2. In addition, we also read Gounod's Faust - Ballet Music. Gounod's Faust has more interesting parts for the double bass. I heard that the orchestra will be giving a free concert on 15 Sep 2007. I wonder if I would be free to perform for the concert then?

12 Jul 2007, Thu: I had double bass lesson in the evening. This was my first lesson with MJ after a long one-month break. Time does fly.

For the lesson, I played Marcello's Sonata in G major and Keyper's Romance and Rondo. My rendition of the two works has improved. Now, I need to find out more about Keyper, the composer who compose Romance and Rondo. I have been searching several sources for information on him, but could not get much information on him. Any clues?

14 Jul 2007, Sat: I practised some parts from Marcello's Sonata in G major and Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro after working on a study.

**
I have managed to reach target I have set for myself.

Life has its ups and downs. Strangely, I feel rather out-of-place with the world today.

2 comments:

mistipurple said...

listen to nice music to be one with the world again, py. :)
i am surrounded by death metal as i type though. feels good too. lol.

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Misti, I hope you have put on your earplugs.

Thank you for coming by to lend a ear, or shall I say, an eye.