Saturday, October 20, 2007

Week 42 of year 2007 on the double bass

14 Oct 2007, Sun: The motivation to practise the second movement and the fourth movements of Eccles' Sonata in g minor is low. I started with practising a study from Bottesini's Method for Double Bass Book I. The studies in this book are rather challenging. Afterwhich time was spent practising the first movement from Eccles' Sonata in g minor. The question asked: Do I have the talents to be a musician? How do I tell?

16 Oct 2007, Tue: About 20 minutes was spent simply practising spiccato strokes. I had tried to play spiccato strokes based on what I had recalled from watching the following videos:

  • Virtual Lesson with Andrew Anderson - Part 7 (spiccato)
  • Virtual Lesson with Andrew Anderson - Part 8 (spiccato)

  • 17 Oct 2007, Wed: During the orchestra rehearsal, we sight-read all other movements of Stravinsky's Firebird except the usual "Infernal dance of King Kashchei". After the break (which I had obviously missed the treat to ice-cream), the orchestra rehearsed the 3rd and 4th movements of Mahler's First Symphony.

    In between the breaks that I have had, I tried to practise the first and second movements of Eccles' Sonata in g minor and the first movement of Dittersdorf's Concerto in E major.

    20 Oct 2007, Thu: I continued to practise the spiccato strokes from I have gathered from Virtual Lesson with Andrew Anderson.

    Afterwhich, time was spent practising practise the first and second movements of Eccles' Sonata in g minor and the first movement of Dittersdorf's Concerto in E major. I could now manage these with slightly more agility. More practice to master these works.

    No comments: