Saturday, April 19, 2008

Week 16 of year 2008 on the double bass

13 Apr 2008, Sun: I played some pieces from Hartley's Double Bass Solo Book One hoping to work on improving the sound of my playing. However, the exercise felt rather unfruitful. It was a challenge to achieve the kind of sound I wish on my double bass.

14 Apr 2008, Mon: I spent some time playing scales to work on achieving a legato bow technique. Afterwhich, time was spent practising one of Dittersdorf's concertos.

15 Apr 2008, Tue: I started with sight-reading the second movement of one of Dittersdorf's concertos. Afterwhich, I continued to practise the first movement of the same concerto.

17 Apr 2008, Thu: It was great to have double bass lesson. Finally, I could work on something else other than Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro. For the lesson, most of it was spent working on the first movement from Dittersdorf's second double bass concerto. This very concerto kept making me feel that I need a better double bass. It has been quite a challenge playing this concerto on my own double bass because of the set-up of my instrument. My fingers have to work doubly, and possibly triply hard on my own instrument as compared to the double bass in the music school.

20 Apr 2008, Sat: I did one sight-reading exercise. Afterwhich, I worked on selected sections from the first movement from Dittersdorf's second double bass concerto.

No comments: