Monday, April 27, 2009

King and Emperor



If given a choice, I prefer listening to music live. Recordings often do not appeal to me as much as live concerts. As such, it was with pleasure that I look forward to Singapore Symphony Orchestra's performance of the concert titled King and Emperor. I have had the pleasure and honour to have Eastcoastlife as my company for the concert.

The programme for the concert is as follow:

BEETHOVEN - Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat major, Op. 73 'Emperor'
SAINT-SAËNS - Symphony No. 3 in C minor, Op. 78 'Organ Symphony'

Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5 is one of the piano concertos that never fails to delight me. I think Beethoven is simply a genius in composition. While I don't have a particular interest in writing music, it fascinates me to listen to a good piece of music composition. I realised that for most of my attendance at concerts performed by professional orchestras, I was not listening to how well the musicians were performing, I was listening to whether the composition inspires or captivates me. I can't exactly tell why, but Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5 is simply a brilliant piece of work. It inspires.

After the intermission, the orchestra performed Saint-Saens' Symphony No. 3. I wish I was sitting nearer the acoustic canopy where I have simply no low ceiling above my head. Then, I think I would significantly experience the power of the sounds of the organ. I don't get to hear this symphony very often, and it was just stunning to listen to it LIVE. I absolutely love the quiet and deep tones of the organ when the lower notes were played.

Many thanks again to Eastcoastlife for her company. She shared with me her views on some issues which I appreciate greatly. I wish I have more wisdom to reconcile some of the issues.

Meantime, I wish for inspiring moments. Art and music remind us of the beauty in this world.

2 comments:

eastcoastlife said...

Thanks for the lovely evening. I enjoyed myself very much. My first time in Esplanade concert hall. Wow!
And meeting Barry Douglas. :D

oceanskies79 said...

I'm glad that you have enjoyed yourself. :)