Monday, March 08, 2010

Read: The Five Secrets You Must Discover Before You Die

John Izzo
(2008)
The Five Secrets You Must Discover Before You Die
Berret-Koehler Publishers, Inc.

This was the book that I had been reading for the past three weeks while I was commuting on the public transport and while I was waiting in queues. I felt that reading the book was like listening to the guidance of many wise elders sharing with me how they have led life in a meaningful way, with happiness and purpose.

In short, if I understood correctly, the author and his team interviewed 234 people ranging from age 59 to 105 years old who have been identified by others as people who had found happiness and purpose.

I find the findings from the many interviews to be very insightful. The author's findings suggest that the five secrets to living a life of happiness and purpose are as follow:

1) Be true to oneself
2) Live a life of no regrets (taking more risks)
3) Become love (love more)
4) Live the moment
5) Give more than one takes.

Aside from this five secrets, I've also learnt from this book that happy people are not afraid to die. The thing is that when people have lived wisely, they will not fear death, but will accept death as part of life. Strangely, this concept reminds me of the Egyptian. The Egyptian, as best as I know, embraces death. Actually, I think they also live pretty wise and good lives if I were to compare them with their contemporaries.

One very consoling point that was highlighted in the book was that it is never too late to live the secrets. So here I am, taking steps to learn and practice the secrets.

This book is written in a very accessible way. It is a book that is worth a place in one's collection of books as it serves a constant reminder to the secrets to a happy and meaningful life.

3 comments:

pinkie said...

'happy people are not afraid to die' > I dun tink I feel happy nor do I consider myself having lived life to the fullest but I don't fear death. If there's anything that's holding me back to that state (death), it's a preference of not leaving my kids behind to fend for themselves since they are not old enuf to do so yet. Life is a journey and there's an end to it, sooner or later. That's about it. If one has many desires in life, then surely they dun wanna die so soon lah… :)

Jammie J. said...

Very insightful. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

oceanskies79 said...

Pinkie: My sense is that the book was trying to say that happy people live their lives well and when they had to face death, they could face it without fear, because they have their lives as best as possible?

Jammie: Thanks for visiting. I am glad that you have found my sharing to be insightful. If you would like, you could pick a copy of the book to read.